Engines

N0ddie

Platinum Member
Question for the mechanical guys.

If I was to buy an engine (Megane engine in this case) and have it sit in the garage for 2 years before it gets fitted to the 200 would there be any long term damage to it sitting in an idle packaged state for that long?

What's the likelihood of seeing problems when it gets started for the first time after storage?

As long as it was stored correctly with oil in and relevant holes plugged to stop moisture ingress then it should be ok really.

Migh want to change the belts as a matter of course before fitting it though after keeping it idle for so long.

the only long term damage would be to yourself.............inflicted by your mrs for having an engine sat in the garage for so long lol

As Willis... would recommend taking plugs out and spraying wd40 in each bore and turning over a couple of cycles so bores are coated to prevent possible rust...

Should be fine though...

Andy

As Willis... would recommend taking plugs out and spraying wd40 in each bore and turning over a couple of cycles so bores are coated to prevent possible rust...

Should be fine though...

Andy

that would be my biggest concern....i would use something with a bit more clinging power than wd40

Best to wait, by that time itll be 250 engines going in them anyway mate.

Or if your eager you could get a 0% credit card and pay that off over the saving period ?

Best to wait, by that time itll be 250 engines going in them anyway mate.

Or if your eager you could get a 0% credit card and pay that off over the saving period ?

Think I'm gonna wait until its time for the transplant to go ahead. Credit cards ain't my thing lol.

Think I'm gonna wait until its time for the transplant to go ahead. Credit cards ain't my thing lol.

Thats definitely your best bet, cash is king. 250 engines should be a bit more regular on eBay by then too and you'll have 300bhp instead of 260/270.

I think you may aswell wait for a 200 engine too .

Seems like the logical choice .