Engines sounds like its going to cut out

I have a 197 2008 when i first start my car after leaving it overnight or similar amount of time its sounds like the the engine is going to cut out for about 10 seconds then goes back to normal throttle. Has anyone had or heard of this and what it could be?

Thanks chris

Does it do it when its cold? Mine has the same problem at the moment. (2009 200)

Just warm it up before you drive it, sit with it at 2000 on the dial out of gear until it starts to splutter, let it splutter with your foot in the same position until it returns to 2000 and kicks up above it. It will be fine to drive after that.

If you drive with it spluttering (as you probably know) its a glorified death trap.

Is your engine light on, along with spanner and check emissions?

I'm going to ring harrats wakefield up about it tomorrow and see what they think. If you have the same problem (which it sounds like you do) I'll let you know what they say.

Last edited:
Its fine to drive i always leave it to run for 5 mins before i drive but its just starting it from cold the revs die down and it starts to splutter a bit then comes back up and its fine I might ring up later as well as im looking to sell up in a month or so ( need to save for a house) and it doesnt look too good when your car wont start properly!

Rang Harrats Wakefield and they said it sounds like the Oxygen Sensor isn't working but didn't know how much it would cost... $.$

Mines very bad! if i'm in a rush and start driving down my road it jerks very bad!! you can have your foot flat on the floor and it will drive like a horse bucking, then after 6 seconds better that ever!

Mines very bad! if i'm in a rush and start driving down my road it jerks very bad!! you can have your foot flat on the floor and it will drive like a horse bucking, then after 6 seconds better that ever!

That's just kangerooing and it warming up, hence why you should never floor it when it's not up to temperature.

A lot of us on 133.net have had a remap to solve kangerooing out.

That's just kangerooing and it warming up, hence why you should never floor it when it's not up to temperature.

A lot of us on 133.net have had a remap to solve kangerooing out.

Yeah i'm getting one soon haha, and always let it warm up now, but dont worry i dont floor it when its cold like that, just tested to see if it made a difference