Engine tap

Rockshow

Gold Member
Hi.

Not knowing the characteristics of these engines (197 R27), are they quite a tappy engine or usually quiet as a church mouse?! Not owned my long and to be honest not really noticed it before, but I noticed it very slightly the other day, and more so this evening. Not so when I've the window up, but with the window down and when accelerating slowly past parked cars for example you can certainly hear it as the sound bounces off. It doesn't quite sound like a mid 80s fiesta, but def a bit more tally than I'd like! Cam belt has been changed.

Any advise or even someone to put my mind at ease would be appreciated!!

thanks!

I'll get a vid up tomorrow. But it actually doesn't sound too far off yours.

Thanks mate. Feel a little more at ease now! But will still post a vid for others comments!

Okey dokey, so, I took a very quick and albeit crude video this morning when I parked in a car park as I thought it might pick up the sound bouncing off the car next to me. Having watched the video back I'm not sure if it's just worse because of the sound quality of my phone? Or whatever, but my engine in the video sounds bloody awful! Belts wurring, things tapping, I'm sure it doesn't sound that bad but nevertheless, any comments welcome! I gently rev the engine and you can hear the tap tap tap but you might need to listen closely!

[video]https://youtu.be/rf3Z97dac5A[/video]

Yeah I think I'll check the exhaust at the weekend. I had the new system fitted and wouldn't mind checking the joints. Was also thinking of buying some exhaust wrap and wrapping the manifold primaries. Did this on my old Caterhams and made such a difference to the under bonnet temp. Anyone else done this?

Sounds v. similar to mine, tends to quieten down a little bit once it's up to temp/idles at ~900

Agreed.

I thought mine was "not great". But i have to say its quieter than both of those videos.

Far as i know its just "how these are"............

The do say a tappy engine is a happy engine :wink:

Sounds a little tappier than mine, but I don't drive it when I start it, I start driving about 5 minutes after starting so maybe I just don't notice.

I've heard tappier before I changed my oil to nanodrive though. Maybe quality of oil?

I honestly think you've nothing to worry about though! :smile:

I still can't tell mate sorry however though you can hear the tapping from the outside on your video? was the bonnet closed or open? I honestly can't hear any tapping with mine when I'm not close to the engine bay.

Which oil do you use?

I had the bonnet closed. But to be fair I think having been parked next to another car and the sound bouncing off probably made it sound worse than it is! But it did help in highlight the tap.

I think maybe an oil change isn't a bad idea. I've owned the car a month but the previous owner said he'd changed the oil about 4 months ago with Elf(?). What's the recommendation for these?!

Scott

Hi Scott. ELF is what Renault "recommends" and to be fair is fine but make an oil change just to be on the safe side. Where abouts are you based? Maybe a member in here is local to you? I am based in London if that's close to you:smile:

I personally use fuchs ester synthetic and the engine seems to love it.

Use a fully synth 5w 40 and you wont go far wrong. As to which specific brand, its very subjective and a can of worms;/

I have used Elf in the past, recently changed to Shell Helix, i am not loyal to a particular brand - more the deal i can get at the time on a quality oil.

not the smoothest or quietest of engines - injectors can be quite loud and the hydraulics can "click" - usually doesnt help if its had few oil changes as they can start to gum up/laquare...

only worry if its tapperty/noisey from the bottom end/sump