DSG and VAG 2.0tsi engine...

So anyone had any experience with the above 2?

Going to look at a Scirocco 2.0tsi tomorrow, and just wondering what other people think?

I really want some comfort and gadgets after over a year and a half of the CUP. So looking at one with full leather, touch screen SatNav etc, DSG auto box.

Which brings me onto the 'box. I've heard glorious things about this gearbox... Really much better than a manual? Worth paying the extra for?

Potential of the engine?
It's only got the k03 turbo (not the k04 of the R or S3) but I'm not in the position to pay the outright price of the R at the moment. But I've heard with a turbo back exhaust and cooler/breather mods etc, its good for 270bhp?

Any advice/experience/opinions welcome :smile:

Isn't the k03 turbo what the corsa vxr use?

Oh dear.

I hate the dsg box. Takes an age to engage from neutral to 1st. Upshift are fine, downshifts just don't happen when I want them

Very little interaction. Yes the comfort is there but the minute you see that bit of country road you will miss your Clio. Badly

Just my 2 pence worth but I get to drive so many cars at work. I even got asked to drive a R32 dsg to a drop of point and I refused and took a fiat 500 instead

Last edited:
I've got a mk6 GTI and its a very good car. Alot shared with he scirocco just more practicality and better looks IMO.

I've never been taken by the scirocco a looks and the GTI is generally considered a better drive

It Has the 2.0TSI engine - EA888, the k03 is the mk5 GTI turbo which is bigger but more lag. The EA888 is alot lighter in much more efficient. It's a great engine.

The TSI has practically no lag whatsoever and has massive torque from 2500 all the way to 6500

Mine is stage 1 with milltek exhaust and alot of nice bilstein B12 suspension.

I had a maxogen CAI but hated the noise and sold it on.

Fitting a larger intercooler and turbo back system give massive gains

Beware clutch slip at stage 2 tune though. Clutches aren't the strongest on these cars.

Comfort wise its leagues ahead of the clio, it does 40mlg on a run despite having circa 250-260bhp and handles well enough

Not as much fun as the clio bu alot easier to drive fast.

Mine is manual. It's a nice gearbox bu the Clutch is awful. Well overservo'd but its a great car and that relly is nit picking.

Personally I would go for a manual as its alot more fun IMO and DSG can be problematic. I wouldn't own a DSG withou a warranty out it that way.

2 completely differing views there haha :smile: good to see both sides though...

The DSG did worry me, but I want an auto box and this seams the best way to go.
There's a manual in green available which is the colour I prefer, or the DSG in black, with the box I prefer. But if its a terrible gearbox it might be worth just buying manual :-/
Hopefully they let me give it a boot on the test drive...

It's not a terrible gearbox - if anything it's TOO good, its a little boring

Every time I've driven one I got bored with the paddles and left in auto. It's a fanstastic automatic box. Rediculous my quick and smooth upshifts and nice pops and farts when driving hard.

I just prefer a manual.

Do not worry about the DSG!! I've owned an edition 30 and s3 both were perfectly fine! And the ed30 did loads of track days and it was 370bhp - so loads of extra stress on the gearbox!

Totally disagree what what others have posted! Even the k03 powered car would destroy a clio down any road!

Buy you should really go for the R!! K04 turbo and for literally 2-3k you can get 370bhp out of it

I had an R32 with DSG that had been tweaked by Revo. Allowed you to have full control when in manual mode which was really good.
Out of the factory the box will change up when it thinks is best even in manual mode. Can get quite annoying when your going into a corner and it changes up.
Revo tweak stops this.

I did start off loving DSG but got bored after a while. You don't get the same feeling when you're not doing the work. Nothing more satisfying going into a bend, heal and toeing down the gears and getting it perfect! With DSG you just pull a paddle and it does it all for you. Cool at first but boring after a while.

Very expensive to repair if it goes wrong as well...

I'm a VAG man at heart so I thoroughly understand your predicament. There are also some very good forums around to get a more detailed response although tbh people have covered all the basics here. They are great flexible engines with good tuning potential if that's your thing. VAG are notorious for their conservative power figures, they always have been. With all the torque it will initially feel a lot more potent than the clio. Only one thing left to do.....

Drive them both!

Enjoy.

Drove them both....

Bought the DSG :wink: haha

Sorry to the purist drivers out there, but it's just an unreal box! Loved every minute of it, and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow :smiley:

Going to keep it standard for a bit, get used to having torque again, then stage 1. Hopefully take it to stage 2, but very much doubt ill get round to K04'ing it.

Anyways, got literally every single optional extra on it, and already got 35mm H&R springs on the way. As I think it's just that little bit too high from standard, and with the adjustable ride settings, the H&R's aren't supposed to affect the feel at all :smiley:

Overall chuffed and can wait to pick it up!

Oh and the garage have chucked in a DSG oil change too, as gives me a full 40k until I need another :smile:

Update to this...

Waiting on the H&R's
Booked in for a remap on Friday 5th

Just driven to Pwllheli tonight, and it's such a change. At the moment I'd say a pleasant change from the clio, but I think it's just because on a long journey the Cup was abit too much. It just seemed 10x easier and more pleasurable. But on short journeys I've not had much chance to properly try it out as its been tipping it down. But I can imagine that's when I'll start missing it.

But so far, made up :smile: