Driving in France

...just about to go skiing...taking the Meg up to Morzine in the French Alps...I haven't taken my own car to France before so just need to check what I need with me....got a warning triangle and the head light deflectors, spare bulbs, hi-vis vests, breatherliser, first aid kit, spare tyre...do I need to carry my insurance certificate and log book...do I need to take the paper bit of my driving licence? Any advice welcome!

We took photocopies of everything, MOT, insurance, counterpart etc, but kept the originals with us too, but in a safe place incase photocopies werent good enough.

We took photocopies of everything, MOT, insurance, counterpart etc, but kept the originals with us too, but in a safe place incase photocopies werent good enough.

Spot on...I drive there every year and this is what I do!

Make sure your sat nav is up to date

Eurgh!!!! We got stuck in diversions in Milan for about 2hours, with the sat nav continually sending us in loops. Sat Nav was eventually laid up to rest somewhere in Milan after being ejected from the moving vehicle!

Make sure you have a GOOD road map! lol

Last edited:
The plod in France are doing on the spot fines as iam a cross their work re Hgv driver so maps are no good no bridge heights or weight warnings

Last edited:
The thing I would be most worried about is getting stuck in the snow in the alps! Hope you have some chains/snow tyres.

You do need your insurance docs/V5/driving license.

You can keep everything in the boot except the high vis jacket which must be easily accessible inside the car - I put mine in the door pocket.

It's now illegal to have speed camera warnings on your sat-nav so make sure you update it before you go. Tomtom replaced speed camera warnings with some other warning to get around the legalities but it's effectively just as good, didn't get me in any trouble when I was over there.

OO good point forgot about speed camera warning on me tom tom. Better make sure they are off on my France maps