Do spacers affect handling?

Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I have 25mm spacers fitted all round. When I fitted them the car seemed to handle fine. Got new rear tyres fitted. Handling was and is terrible. Took it to get wheels rebalanced and tracking done. Tracking was off and now is to specs of manufacturer, however handling is still crap. Car feels twitchy, nervous and like it wants to spit u off the road when your giving it some.

Is is this the spacers or could it be another factor? I can't get why it was ok for two weeks with spacers then all of a sudden it's pants :worried:

People will argue that yes fitting spacers does affect handling. Many people will also say anything over 25mm is too much but again this is down to the drivers preference. I have 20mm all round and it gives it the nice look I want and I haven't noticed any handling problems.

Again what Mike said what tyres have you fitted?

What tyres are they and how is it nervous, what's it doing?

New tyres on rear are uniroyal rainsport 3s and ive got goodyear easgle f1s on front. WShen i get to speed the car wobbles from side to side like tghe feeling you get if you turn wheel right then sharply left. If I do that the car goes into a uncontrolable wobble, so as you are giving it some round corners and even just picking up speed on a straight the car will shimmy about.

It is so frustrating. I have 25mm spacers fitted but i cant see how it was fine before the tyre change and now its not. Tracking is what i thought the issue was but now that is sorted I'm still having problems.

Sounds like either a wheel bearing or a suspension bush has gone mate

Thanks mate. Looks like I could do with an early service. Wa'nt due for a couple of months. Also in a ithgt turn at speed the car locked up and **** me violently across the road. Could it be the fact that the tyres are still brand new and have that shiny coat on them still?

Could be any number of things. Track rod ends, Lower ball joint, balancing still could be out, buckled wheel.

I doubt it is the spacers, but if you suspect them then they are a 10minute job to remove, then you can take the car out for a spin and see what it's like with them off. Personally I'd do that, and check your pressures first. Then if its the same start suspecting bearings, track rods, lower ball joint (in that order) - but it's best to take it to a pro and get them checked.

Don't forget it's also possible to fit spacers wonky, so you could find that the wheel is balanced fine when it's off the car, but then you stick it back on top of a wonky spacer and your problem is back again, refitting them and checking all the torques are correct could also help.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated. I'll start by taking the spacers off and then go from there.

Sorry but I am anti spacer, unfortunately I'm an engineer and know the effects they can have. As the centre line of the wheel is moved out from the car, this puts excess load on all the parts that the item is attached to. Fitting spacers will accelerate wear on everything rotating as it was designed with a specific load generated on the manufactures offset. This means wheel bearings, ball joints, I have even seen bent rear beams in extreme cases. So not only does it effect the performance and handling of the car it can actually be dangerous and cause all sorts of problems. The symptoms you describe do sound like a front lower ballpoint, but I would advise you get it checked out.

Sorry but I am anti spacer, unfortunately I'm an engineer and know the effects they can have. As the centre line of the wheel is moved out from the car, this puts excess load on all the parts that the item is attached to. Fitting spacers will accelerate wear on everything rotating as it was designed with a specific load generated on the manufactures offset. This means wheel bearings, ball joints, I have even seen bent rear beams in extreme cases. So not only does it effect the performance and handling of the car it can actually be dangerous and cause all sorts of problems. The symptoms you describe do sound like a front lower ballpoint, but I would advise you get it checked out.
Thanks for the advice. I will get it checked out ASAP.

OK guys so I finally got to the bottom of the speed wobble. Spacers never came off in the end. All I did was swap my new rainsport 3's that were on the rear to the front and moved my eagle f1s to the rear.
I have no clue as to how or why this could have worked but I'm well chuffed it has. Now my car handles like before and I get to keep the spacers on :smiley:

i do have spacers.
haven't noticed your symptoms thus far, and ive had them on for ages now.

on another note, i have only used the contisports 3 or eagle f1 tyres on my car.
They are incredible in our climate here in Cape Town, South Africa.