Do spacers affect handling?

Hi guys. How much doeas putting spacers on affect the handling in a 197?

I've just fitted H&r's 30/40mm springs, and as awesome as it looks, I feel spacers are gonna finish it off...

Before

uploadfromtaptalk1361998277037.jpg

And after

uploadfromtaptalk1361998249236.jpg

Comments welcome

Some more pics after the drop...
Sorry about the horrible quality. The pics are much clearer, but tapatalk auto-reduces the size?? :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Let me know what u guys think.

Peace

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361998410624.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361998410624.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 120
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361998468014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361998468014.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 123
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361998497519.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361998497519.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 112
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361998580234.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361998580234.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 105
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361998615497.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361998615497.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
no probs mate,i run 16mm eibach spacers,H&R spacers are cheaper though and equally as good,i just didn't realise this at the time of purchase,haha

Thanks mate. My friend fano has a set of h&r 16mm on his rb 197. Hopefully he's nice enough to let me borrow them for a week or so :smiley: ?

I normally hate silver cars but that looks awesome! What colour is it?

Thanks a lot. It's nimbus grey bud. I like to keep a hand on the paint... Weekly Meguiars tlc (i have a friend who was a rep, so I still get it at 30% discount). And a good Meguiars wax whenever I get a chance. I use the Meguiars new car kit. Does the job in our sunny cape town climate (even though it's pouring as I type this - in the heart of our summer!)

Keep the feedback coming, gents. Will get pics up with the spacers as soon as I get them/ fano lends me his... Whichever comes 1st.

Peace

Yes, I think they do. I'm running 20mm H&R all round and it does affect the handling IMO. The steering feels little lighter and the car is more inclined to follow camber in the road.

On the road it's not really an issue though to be honest, you do notice it but its not detrimental to the way the car drives, I will be taking mine off before track days though.

The way I see it is it makes the car look 100% better, and only knocks the "performance" of the car a tiny %, which on the roads you should never be pushing to anyway.

Yes, I think they do. I'm running 20mm H&R all round and it does affect the handling IMO. The steering feels little lighter and the car is more inclined to follow camber in the road.

On the road it's not really an issue though to be honest, you do notice it but its not detrimental to the way the car drives, I will be taking mine off before track days though.

The way I see it is it makes the car look 100% better, and only knocks the "performance" of the car a tiny %, which on the roads you should never be pushing to anyway.

Perfect robo! You have just made up my mind for me. Time to place that order :wink:

That's nimbus?! :blush:

I've never seen it looks so nice and bright! It always looks a bit dirty lol

Yip, it's nimbus. I purposely uploaded pics under different shades of light so people could recognise it in at least one of the pics, lol.

Oh well, here's another
(pre-springs)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362008463247.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362008463247.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 74

Why would you take them off for track days?
The spacers are designed to improve stability and reduce pitch/roll making them ideal for track day use

I guess I will have to test this theory out myself then. Thanks for all the info guys.

Cheers

the extra buzz you get from your car looking so good will improve your driving and make up the lost time people say,haha...trust me you won't lose any feeling,if that was the case mine wouldn't be still on the car now!...18 months down the road and i still love the old girl,go for it matey

Thanks Henderson. After the spacers, I'm gonna possibly get the ktr reinforced engine mounts, and I will have reached the goal line with my car. I've done everything else I've set out to do. Progress thread coming soon...

Peace

Without wanting to knock the ''spacers'' mod or anything, I would only like to ask if anyone knows why Renault decided to use wheels with such a silly offset.

According to most, spacers don't affect the handling at all (for some they make it better) and on top of that it's a win in the looks department. So 2 positives, 0 negatives. Why the ET68 then and not for example ET55 (random number)?

maybe because they also have a ten year warranty on the paint work and spacing the wheels does have side effects if heavily spaced,total guess :smile: