Dissapointed in Renault...

Following my steering wheel starting to wear/melt over the summer ~ and my Clio 197 (2006) been out of warranty. I visited the local dealer to purchase some parts and the gentleman advised me to contact Renault UK and they may be able to help me still.

Contacted UK and informed them that my steering wheel like many others, is suffering from ruffness and wear. Having owned a Clio 182 from new, then purchasing a new Clio 197 when they first were released. Being a loyal RenaultSport customer, previously had no warranty work, however a little dissapointed that I now had this issue. Anyway they opened me a case reference and was booked back into the dealer for formal inspection.

Arrived at 8am expecting to leave the car with them until 4pm. However the lady on reception asked for the workshop manager to have a look there and then. Felt like I was being fobbed off, however to my surprise he soon came outside and announced that he had already ordered a steering wheel and it needs a new one.

Back inside the dealership, the lady brings to the gentleman's attention that my case is obviously out of warranty and UK need to be contacted with photos etc.

Initially I had advised UK that I would be willing to pay towards the repair of 50% ~ as we are talking about a very common problem, soon enough later in the day Renault UK contact me, and inform me that they are not willing to offer me anything. Going from the dealership manager being certain it needed replacing (aware he did not know of warranty expired).

Bascially said due to the problem being cosmetic and not affecting the performance of the car, on this occasion we are unable to offer you anything. However typical that they could offer me some money off my next new car from them. Explained that it's not as if your giving me it for nothing, I'm contributing 50% and having given you over £25k in the past, I expected at least something. He then informed me that the dealer can carry out full repairs, swapping a steering wheel for £464! I asked how is it that I can purchase a new wheel for £150, and he said it's down to the dealer's markup.

So I said im left with a steering wheel which is now going to get worse and worse. Unable to offer me anything despite everything....In all I understand all about warranty, and could understand if I was claiming for seat wear after expiry but such a common problem, and lack of consistency of what I was told, has annoyed me so much.

No surprise there really. Once you've bought the car, little interest is shown in problems.
Once it's out of warranty they don't care at all.

It might be worth just getting the leather re-trimmed?

Omg thats disgusting service. Seems strange how some dealers treat customers differently.

And this is how dealers will behave until Renault do something about it. That's why they are bottom of the JD survey; have been for years and that's where they'll stay. I see people wanting to take extended Renault warranties but the one the car comes with is bad so why would anyone pay for more of the same is beyond me.

I had a problem with a hole in the carpet on my clio. Reported to renault just before the warranty expired but they came back saying it's wear and tear. Had a big argument with the woman on the phone but didn't get anywhere so eventually gave up.

I wanted to complain about the service I had received but unfortunately to make a complaint it really has to go through customer services, not going to have much luck doing that.

I managed to contact the MD of Renault UK and made a formal complaint through him, shortly after had a phone call from Renault offering to pay 50% of the repair costs which was something ridiculous like £600 so I asked that they provide some renaultsport mats instead to hide the problem which was fine. Cheaper for them, free for me.

If you would like the email address of Renault UK's MD send me a PM

Hmmm well that answer my question then. I was going to go to them with regards to my 07 plate 197 steering wheel doing the same. It really puts me off Renault when things like this happen.....

Depends on the dealer tbh. Could you try another dealer? Also try contacting Dave RUK from renaultsport forums he has helped lots of people out on here. He knows his stuff so he will tell you if you are not going to get anywhere with your complaint, so saves you wasting your time really. If you have got a case then he will ring up the dealer and help you out.

Dave

If you want it done for free, call Renault UK all day long looking to get more hold of more senior people, don't get aggressive and provide your points in brief so they don't switch off whilst listening. They will give in eventually, being polite is key.

Where abouts do you live Jam?

I'd try another dealer to be fair.
I know of a few cases over on RenaultSport that have been sorted once it's been publicised.
Are you a member?

Renaultsport UK are worse than useless. Tried getting my seat repaired (usual hole in the bolster) and all they kept telling me was that it was normal wear and tear and what do I expect as I had bought the car second hand. Even complained about their service and had a phone call from Renault Customer Service Paris which failed to solve my problem. Just remember that a Renault Warranty is worth nothing as it seems they can get away with normal wear and tear as an excuse for their incompetency. I will never buy a Renault again..

I just got my steering wheel replaced by Renault out of warranty and it cost me £120 as they went halves on it with me, there is a big thread on steering wheel melt and i posted in that.. my mileage is quite low though.. only 20k.. i also opted for the yellow clio 200 one :smile:

Isn't the wheel only about £150 to buy brand new? Or is the £240 including fitting...?

You just have to keep going at them until you get somewhere. If they tell you it's reasonable wear and tear then tell them that the part was not properly validated before being put into manufacture, things should not be wearing out after 20-30k miles.

I'm fortunate enough to have worked for one of Renault's suppliers as a development engineer so I know the rigorous testing that a component goes through before being allowed into production. This sort of wear and tear is 100% unacceptable.