Detailers Teach Me The Right Way !!!!

Hello guys and girls,

i have a fair few products that i am using for my detailing, just wanted some advice on the order that i should use

so far i have in my collection

Cherry snow foam (The Chemical Guys)
anyone know how to make thicker so it stick for longer ???

AutoGylm Shampoo
Clay bar (G3)
Turbo Detailer (G3)
Super resin polish (AutoGlym)
ultra gloss protection (AutoGlym)
Iron x advice on using this product brand new to me ??
Tardis advice on using this product brand new to me ??
Trim Polish Autoglym
Back To Black (Tyre Dress)
Billberry wheel cleaner advice on using this product please ??
dodo juice diamond white wax advice on using this product please ??
dodo juice red mist spray advice on using this product please ??

could people please give a list on what order to use and on the ones i have asked for a little bit of info how to use i.e time, motions, etc
also how will these effect my stickers on my car as its covered in clio cup livery

thanks i also have a variety of brushes, microfibres, micros fibre mitts, and waxing and polishing pads

Cheers Robbie !!! :w00t:

its pretty simple, and to be fair, uve probably got stuff u dont need.
most products you can buy that supposedly enhance colour of car are useless.

Best thing you can do is:
-Bilbury the wheels, scrub em etc too
-Snow foam and rinse
-Iron X whole car body and wheels and leave for 15 minutes
-Snow foam and rinse
-Hand wash 2 bucket method
-Clay
-Snow foam and rinse
-Dry

This is where is gets personal....ive had it proved to me that cleaning products arent worth the money they cost and only last for a matter of days. So i go down the carlack route.

-Carlack NSF, give it 45 minutes to cure and buff off
-Carlack LLS, do this small patches at a time of ir can be a bitch to get off
-Wax with a good quality plain wax.

There really is no need for all these products that have such and such an oil in them... its like a womans make up, its fine for a very short time then offers nothing. You are far better off just protecting the paint and topping with wax for a nice wet look.

Snow foam (play with mixture to get the thickness you want)
Rinse incl wheels
Bilberry on wheels
Wash using two bucket method
Rinse
Iron x (spray then leave to dwell then rinse)
Dry
Tardis (spray and leave for 30 secs then wipe off)
Foam and rinse
Polish
Gloss protection

Etc
Clay

-Iron X whole car body and wheels and leave for 15 minutes

Do NOT let ironX dry on the car, car need to be dry before using product also.

you then foam, wipe and spray off, foam and spray off and dry.

You then use tardis the same as ironX

So use the wax last ? The diamond white dodo wax is for light and white cara so I believe there is no colour additive, so do I not polish and seal then ?

So use the wax last ? The diamond white dodo wax is for light and white cara so I believe there is no colour additive, so do I not polish and seal then ?

Yes wax should always be your top coat, its what predominatly provides your shine and wet look

its totally down to personal choice, and i would say it depends very much on the condition of your paintwork.

Personally i prefer the look i get from not using all the fancy products. Just iron x and clay it back so the surface is clean, and then seal the surface with carlack nsf and lls. This basically puts an acrylic layer over the paint. then all i do is wax.

I have always found that using the other products makes it look great, but 2 days later the effect has faded.

I much prefer doing it the way i do now, and knowing that in a months time all i have to do is re wax. And in 6 months time it will still look the same as it did when i did it. Although at 6 months u should be looking to redo the claying and sealing process when using carlack

lovely well what i will do is take before after and during shots and post up how i get on the poor car has got mega dirty !!!!! dirty cow !

its pretty simple, and to be fair, uve probably got stuff u dont need.
most products you can buy that supposedly enhance colour of car are useless.

This is where is gets personal....ive had it proved to me that cleaning products arent worth the money they cost and only last for a matter of days. So i go down the carlack route.

There really is no need for all these products that have such and such an oil in them... its like a womans make up, its fine for a very short time then offers nothing. You are far better off just protecting the paint and topping with wax for a nice wet look.

Where have you had it proved? Saying cleaning products aren't worth the money is a bit of a broad comment, which ones are you referring to?

As for colour charged waxes, the Dodo ones are specific for colours and do change tones:

image001.jpg

Yes wax should always be your top coat, its what predominatly provides your shine and wet look

Personally i prefer the look i get from not using all the fancy products. Just iron x and clay it back so the surface is clean, and then seal the surface with carlack nsf and lls. This basically puts an acrylic layer over the paint. then all i do is wax.

I have always found that using the other products makes it look great, but 2 days later the effect has faded.

I much prefer doing it the way i do now, and knowing that in a months time all i have to do is re wax. And in 6 months time it will still look the same as it did when i did it. Although at 6 months u should be looking to redo the claying and sealing process when using carlack
Waxing isn't what predominantly gives shine, it's all in the preparation e.g polishing and glazing!

You must be doing something wrong like not applying waxes correctly if you are having to re-apply after a month, usually (if you pay for a decent wax) they will last a few months, obviously depending on the wax.

Sorry to sound negative mate, but if you are getting people to spend money, it is only right that you recommend the right procedures / products.

To the OP:

Ado has posted the correct wash procedure, decontaminate the paint well and polish to give the shine, and the wax will last longer as well, look on youtube for application videos of products you aren't sure on how to use. :wink:

Where have you had it proved? Saying cleaning products aren't worth the money is a bit of a broad comment, which ones are you referring to?

As for colour charged waxes, the Dodo ones are specific for colours and do change tones:

image001.jpg

Waxing isn't what predominantly gives shine, it's all in the preparation e.g polishing and glazing!

You must be doing something wrong like not applying waxes correctly if you are having to re-apply after a month, usually (if you pay for a decent wax) they will last a few months, obviously depending on the wax.

Sorry to sound negative mate, but if you are getting people to spend money, it is only right that you recommend the right procedures / products.

To the OP:

Ado has posted the correct wash procedure, decontaminate the paint well and polish to give the shine, and the wax will last longer as well, look on youtube for application videos of products you aren't sure on how to use. :wink:

I've spent hours down at KDS, and have been shown the testing on products. I didnt say they dont have any effect. I said that the effect doesnt last. I also did state its down to the condition of teh paint.

No amount of polishing on a car with orange peel is going to match the results of a wet sand, polish and a coat of wax.

And applying wax once a month is just my personal choice. i wash once a week and top up a very thing layer of wax once a month.

Its all personal choice, and i wasnt getting anyone to spend any money. In fact if you read what i have posted, i have actually tried to save the OP some money.

But its each to their own. I dont see the point in spending money on products with countless different oils in. The only true way to get it looking better is to smooth the paint.

I've spent hours down at KDS, and have been shown the testing on products. I didnt say they dont have any effect. I said that the effect doesnt last. I also did state its down to the condition of teh paint.

No amount of polishing on a car with orange peel is going to match the results of a wet sand, polish and a coat of wax.

And applying wax once a month is just my personal choice. i wash once a week and top up a very thing layer of wax once a month.

Its all personal choice, and i wasnt getting anyone to spend any money. In fact if you read what i have posted, i have actually tried to save the OP some money.

The only true way to get it looking better is to smooth the paint.

Agree'd that a flatter surface is better looking (more reflective), did you do a wet sanding course at KDS?

I never said rotary/DA results were equal to wet sanding, but if the OP has a swirl bus he isn't going to get the best results without polishing.

You suggested buying cheaper products because you don't believe in more expensive products. The OP has AG EGP, a perfectly good sealant but you recommended buying Carlack SSL. The OP also has Dodo Juice DW and Red mist to top up between details, but you recommended Carlack NSC, or that is how I read it.

Have you tried any of the Dodo Juice waxes? They are surprisingly good for the money, I would recommend the panel pots to anyone to try, for £6 you can't go wrong if value for money is the appeal. Red Mist is one of the best gloss enhancers I've ever tried as well.

Agree'd that a flatter surface is better looking (more reflective), did you do a wet sanding course at KDS?

I never said rotary/DA results were equal to wet sanding, but if the OP has a swirl bus he isn't going to get the best results without polishing.

You suggested buying cheaper products because you don't believe in more expensive products. The OP has AG EGP, a perfectly good sealant but you recommended buying Carlack SSL. The OP also has Dodo Juice DW and Red mist to top up between details, but you recommended Carlack NSC, or that is how I read it.

Have you tried any of the Dodo Juice waxes? They are surprisingly good for the money, I would recommend the panel pots to anyone to try, for £6 you can't go wrong if value for money is the appeal. Red Mist is one of the best gloss enhancers I've ever tried as well.

I recommended the carlack stuff yes, but i also said it was my personal choice. i use the LLS as well as a wax. The LSL provides a nice shine, but doesnt give the wet look the wax does.

I used to use the Dodo Juice supernatural, and yeh i agree they are very good for the money. My personal favourite, and currently is use in teh P21's, or now known as R222 100% Carnuba. at £45 i think this is also very good value. I have found equally good results with this as the supernatural.

Was is the one thing i am happy to spend money on.

The main point of anything i have posted above is that i dont see the point in using products that enhance the look, but then fade. Its great if you are going to a show the day after etc, but for a more long term, always looking nice aspect, i think the better results are had in simply cleaning the surface and then protecting it.

No matter what way you look at it, car cleaning is a pretty personal thing, and unfortunately sometimes related to time available. If you are happy applying extra products for a slightly deeper colour etc, and prepared to do it more often then great.
I dont really have time to clay it back and top up the products though, and also prefer the natual paint colour on my car. Ive tried many things since i got it, and the only thing i have truely liked in the natural colour just being protected and waxed.

I've not done the wet sanding course. Im not sure i would want to do it myself really. especially not on renault paint. Plan at some time is for KDS to sand it for me, and then have the car done with gtechniq.

so think i have my order then

Snow foam (play with mixture to get the thickness you want)
Rinse incl wheels
Bilberry on wheels
Wash using two bucket method
Rinse
Iron x leave for 3/4 mins
Dry
Tardis (spray and leave for 30 secs then wipe off)
Snow Foam and rinse
Clay
rinse
Dry
Polish
Gloss protection
Wax

if i have been a div and messed up the order please tell me :smiley:

I recommended the carlack stuff yes, but i also said it was my personal choice. i use the LLS as well as a wax. The LSL provides a nice shine, but doesnt give the wet look the wax does.

I used to use the Dodo Juice supernatural, and yeh i agree they are very good for the money. My personal favourite, and currently is use in teh P21's, or now known as R222 100% Carnuba. at £45 i think this is also very good value. I have found equally good results with this as the supernatural.

The main point of anything i have posted above is that i dont see the point in using products that enhance the look, but then fade. Its great if you are going to a show the day after etc, but for a more long term, always looking nice aspect, i think the better results are had in simply cleaning the surface and then protecting it.

No matter what way you look at it, car cleaning is a pretty personal thing, and unfortunately sometimes related to time available. If you are happy applying extra products for a slightly deeper colour etc, and prepared to do it more often then great.
I dont really have time to clay it back and top up the products though, and also prefer the natual paint colour on my car. Ive tried many things since i got it, and the only thing i have truely liked in the natural colour just being protected and waxed.

I've not done the wet sanding course. Im not sure i would want to do it myself really. especially not on renault paint. Plan at some time is for KDS to sand it for me, and then have the car done with gtechniq.

I agree entirely. Some waxes do add a temporary layer that can enhance a car slightly for a short period (realistic 4-8 weeks) but a functional coating/layer of sealant is much more practical long term and also from a business perspective meets the needs of customers who just want something easy to clean generally.

It takes this:

6526000737_234e27638f_z.jpg
DSC02003 by RussZS, on Flickr

To make a car look like this:

6531891725_c471412373_z.jpg
DSC_0006 by RussZS, on Flickr

Not a pot of £30 wax. Waxes are a dying breed IMO. I'm selling most of mine and just keeping Vics Concours and Best Of Show which do add something looks wise - R222 is nice too.

Russ.

Should my iron x be cloudy and smell horrible ?

what do you mean cloudy? is ir running purple? thats it doing its job. the purple if the compounds being broken down into wash away-able (is that even a word) substance.

And yes, it stinks.... friends misses threw up last week when she smelt mine lol

no is cloudy in the bottle ...will try on the car in a bit however wanted to check that it was ok before i put it on the car

my iron-x was cloudy and stunk.....

i rinse, dry car then iron-x, snow foam, rinse.....

it gave lots of purple rain on car and car was only 3 month old :s

I agree with everything you have said there, I personally like to top a sealant like CarPro Reload or (EGP as the OP has) with a wax, like Zymol Carbon or Supernatural as you said.

That way you can get the short term gloss, but it's also got the long term protection from the underlying sealant, something easily topped up with a gloss enhancer after a quick wash.

If you are pushed for time then I suppose it isn't much extra effort to give it a wipe over with a Zaino Z8 or Dodo Juice Red Mist, as long as you have taken the time to lay down a base layer!

You know you want to get the sand paper out. :wink:

I disagree to a certain extent. Wet sanding is fantastic, and really is the pinnacle of automotive care - but lets be realistic, it costs a fortune (I know I charge a fortune for it!!), and how many people want to take their car to that level? The market for it is tiny, infact, the market for detailing is not that much bigger, although it is growing..

The part I disagree with, is not the above, it is the part about branded products and fine waxes not being worth the money as they don't provide a decent enough finish. See my case below;

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

No wet sanding involved here, and those reflections are every bit as good as those that Russ showed. It's a pity the car wasn't black. This was finished with Zaino Z2 some 6 months ago, these were taken after nothing more than a simple ph neutral wash. It's mainly in the aftercare where waxes and sealants need to be looked after properly. After paying for paintwork correction etc, it can easily and very quickly be messed up again with poor washing technique afterwards.

i think u have missed the point.

Said above is that many cleaning products only provide their improvements in colour/shine etc for a short period of time. Not that they simply dont work.

Similar Thread Suggestions