Dealer not handing over service book.

Hi guys.

Had my 250 now for 5 weeks and on collection of the car from a Renault dealer, I was told that the service book was still with the previous owner and that I'd be receiving it in a matter of days.

A fortnight passed and after much persistence I eventually got a text from the salesman to say that they had it in the office.

Another week passed, no sign of it in.. I then contacted the dealer again and they played dumb saying they expected me to travel from Northampton, to Hemel to collect it.. I then said that I'd expect out of good service for it to be posted, to which they replied it'd be in the post the next day.

It's now been 5 weeks since I've had the car and no sign of the service book, with the dealer just telling me to remain patient.

I feel I'm being f'kd around a little here, no service book results in a huge loss when I come to sell the car.

Can I get RUK involved?

Cheers

Sam

Last edited:
Makes you wonder whether they actually have it or not...

Would it not be worthwhile driving there to see them in person? I can understand that you shouldn't have to, but if they're going to be idiots about it, then that's got to be the best option. You could then politely suggest getting RUK involved if they still aren't playing ball?

I have contacted them again today to say I will be in touch with RUK if I don't have it by the end of the week.

Does anyone know though if they can actually do anything?

Officially, If they have told you they have it (and sold it to you as this) then it isn't sold as seen. You should be eligible for a refund due to trades descriptions act. Have a read or speak with your local office.

Should be enough to hurry your book along

Well I've told them in kind words that I shall be in touch with RUK if it's not here by the end of the week.

Can it still have quite an effect on a re sale of a vehicle with no service book? Apparently the records will be online..?

Its not the end of the world, but put yourself in the buyers position. Would you buy your car with no book? Its just easier with it

Its not the end of the world, but put yourself in the buyers position. Would you buy your car with no book? Its just easier with it

Exactly mate, I wouldn't personally.. I only did as I was promised it was on the way. It's peace of mind having everything when you buy a car.

Contact RUK to check the service history on file- as long as it stacks up with what you are told you are fine.

Then pressurise them to get it out to you. The ORIGINAL book will have the chassis number stamped to the back in sticker form.

Good to hear it finally arrived. Shame it had to drag on as long as it did for you :thumb1:

sorry to hijack but can anyone show me a pic of a 197 service book? I picked my car up at the weekend and had a second look at the service book provided but it looks like it's for a clio2! Weird thing is that it's got all the right stamps from different dealers/garages but when looking at the maintenace tables it's stating clio2 and other cars of the same age

sorry to hijack but can anyone show me a pic of a 197 service book? I picked my car up at the weekend and had a second look at the service book provided but it looks like it's for a clio2! Weird thing is that it's got all the right stamps from different dealers/garages but when looking at the maintenace tables it's stating clio2 and other cars of the same age

Wouldn't surprise me if that's what was originally supplied with the car when new. Renault love to mix and match.

I have the same mate, the book for a 2! It's all above board, but as [MENTION=4906]Matt W[/MENTION] said, they were probably supplied with our cars when new.