Custom clock fascias

Discussion in 'Interior and Audio' started by tobydavis34, Feb 12, 2020.

1. tobydavis34

tobydavis34 Platinum Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Hi all :smile:

Has anyone taken apart a clock fascia? I would like to A) get some custom fascias made and B) changed the LED colours from the ghastly orange to yellow

PFA

IMG_6618.JPG

2. Frank Perry

Frank Perry Paid Member

Car:
    Clio Sport 197
    Keen to see what's involved too - following!

If it helps, I remember seeing a thread about changing the LED bulbs to blue but think it involved removing of the cluster and soldering new LEDs etc. If I find it I'll pop back and post it here

3. tobydavis34

tobydavis34 Platinum Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Yes please!!!

4. DS197

DS197 POTM Winner - June 2017 Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
  5. 19Zen

19Zen

Car:
    If you have a look at this post in my progress thread, it'll give some idea of what's involved...

The speedo is easy to remove from the dash, just remove surrounding trim with a plastic trim removing tool, pull the speedo out from the top and unplug. The covers are removed easily by slightly opening the clips around edges. It's pulling off the speedo/rev needles and grazing the board so the solder for the new LEDs sticks which takes a bit of courage, then soldering the LEDs requires some patience.

You'll need a decent thin tipped soldering iron preferably with an inbuilt torch, angled tweezers, solder and a steady hand. I used PLCC-2 LEDs for the speedo and PLCC-4 for the clock, which are more difficult as they require soldering on each of the 4 corners. I have a diagram for the + - positions of the bulbs which I can dig out if you need it.

I wouldn't have dreamed of attempting this myself without this thread on a French forum which somewhat breaks down the whole process and figured if one man can do it, so can another!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    tobydavis34 likes this.