Cup vs Non cup?

Hi all, just a quick one, I used to own a 200 cup, then became a taxi driver and sold my clio as it wasn’t needed. I’m now getting the itch for another clio but wondering if the non cup is that much different handling wise? I’ve only got about 3.5k to spend and these days you can’t get much for that little amount

I’m just wondering if it’s worth the extra money, it’ll be for road use only and the very odd track day possibly.

Any comments appreciated

I'm sure other will echo what I'm about to say regarding the difference will be the handling more then anything.
The "Cup" is a little too harsh for our roads while the non"cup" has more compliance, with a firm ride when lent on in the corners. As for light track use you should be fine.

I have not driven a non cup packed Clio. If this is going to be a car for you, and, not a family car then I would say get a cup packed car with stiffer suspension for the handling. I like the stiffer ride but I do not use my Clio as a daily driver and do take it out with 3 passengers in the car.

If you liked the cup handling before I would say get another cup packed car.

Thanks chaps, I come from a Karting background so prefer a stiff chassis :smile: I do like the handling of a cup but I just don’t think I can afford one tbh unless it’s done ridiculous miles. I’ll see what comes up in the near future but appreciate your inputs

Thanks chaps, I come from a Karting background so prefer a stiff chassis :smile: I do like the handling of a cup but I just don’t think I can afford one tbh unless it’s done ridiculous miles. I’ll see what comes up in the near future but appreciate your inputs
You can always retrofit cup suspension if you can buy a non-cup car cheap enough. Mileage shouldn't be an issue as long as it's been serviced and repairs carried out as needed. Just to clarify are you after another 200 or 197?

Well I have been looking at 197’s mostly as 200’s are out of my price range. Thinking about things after reading this post though I may just get the rest on finance as I’d rather pay extra and get a car I want and that I’d be happy with, seems like the value in clios won’t devalue too much either. So based on all that, I’m open to any really, 197 or 200

Cup or non cup is irrelevant really. Suspension can be changed easily. I have a 197 cup on h&r springs used it as a daily with the family no problems. Now i have kw v1's and adjustable top mounts to go on.

Just buy the Car you want. You'll end up changing it to suit you anyway.

Reactions: DS197
What you guys are missing is that it's not only the suspension but also the steering if we're talking about a 200. The Cup has a 7.5% quicker steering rack which alone is a reason to go for it.

Thanks for your comments lads, that’s correct I guess the suspension can be changed.

On the cups and the FF models vs the non cups is there any difference in the actual chassis, I’m assuming it’s stiffer than the non cups?

Thanks for your comments lads, that’s correct I guess the suspension can be changed.

On the cups and the FF models vs the non cups is there any difference in the actual chassis, I’m assuming it’s stiffer than the non cups?

No difference in the chassis itself.

As Mark said.

Cup packs on 197 was stiffer and lower springs, stiffer dampers and red calipers.
Cup packs on 200 was stiffer springs and dampers (stiffer than the 197), quicker rack, thicker ARB (it was like 0.5mm IIRC) and red calipers.

Many racks may need changing anyway, so you like a few people have mentioned you can always add bits on, depending on your base car.

I had an R27 (so cup pack as standard) and it was too stiff, I got rear ended and it was written off, so I then purposely went for a non-cup 197 and I have after a while when doing suspension refresh put on Eibach springs on non-Cup dampers, it's firmer than the non-cup springs, but it's not terrible like Cup (this is my personal opinion, in the R27 it bounced me about on country lanes, I really didn't like it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_L
As Mark said.

Cup packs on 197 was stiffer and lower springs, stiffer dampers and red calipers.
Cup packs on 200 was stiffer springs and dampers (stiffer than the 197), quicker rack, thicker ARB (it was like 0.5cm IIRC) and red calipers.

Many racks may need changing anyway, so you like a few people have mentioned you can always add bits on, depending on your base car.

I had an R27 (so cup pack as standard) and it was too stiff, I got rear ended and it was written off, so I then purposely went for a non-cup 197 and I have after a while when doing suspension refresh put on Eibach springs on non-Cup dampers, it's firmer than the non-cup springs, but it's not terrible like Cup (this is my personal opinion, in the R27 it bounced me about on country lanes, I really didn't like it).

0.05cm thicker ARB. The 200 cup and cup pack are thicker still 21mm IIRC

Reactions: suj
0.05cm thicker ARB. The 200 cup and cup pack are thicker still 21mm IIRC

Sorry typo I meant 0.5mm thicker.
Yeah what I meant is the non-cup vs cup is 0.5mm thicker in both instances from memory. (so 197 non-cup vs 197 cup, 200 non-cup vs 200 cup)

Thanks chaps you’ve answered all my questions, I appreciate your help. I think on that basis it seems like it doesn’t really matter which version you go for, but I’m a bit anal so I think I’ll try go for the FF again as that’s what I had before anyway!