Cup or not a Cup

oliea79

Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I'm a Newbie here, but on the cusp of switching my R26 Megane F1 230 for a 200 Cup.

I want a car with both cup packs, but am really struggling to identify the differences on cars. Its seems the owners aren't much help either!

I have found a 2010 Liquid Yellow car with recaros and red brake calipers, but visually am unable to see if it is a cup? The car in question has a silver nose rather than black. Is this an indication of it being non-cup?

Other thing I noticed is it has a satnav, this may just be an optional extra.... but probably not helping the weight.

Are there any visual cuesI should be looking at to identify whether it is a cup or not?

Unfortunately the car is a bit of a schlep away so want to make sure its right before I go view it.

Thanks
Olie

There is only 1 cup pack on MK3 RS (197/200), what you are talking about was available on MK2 RS (172/182).

So you could get a car that was classed as a cup (says on logbook) or you can get ones with cup packs added.

The cup pack consisted of anthracite wheels, red calipers front and back, slightly stiffer dampers and springs (200 was stiffer than the 197), then the 200 got a slighter quicker steering rack.

Actual cup cars had the above pack and then no keyless entry card (traditional key instead), a poverty spec dash, manual wing mirrors, non-digital climate control (but could spec AC), no cruise control.

https://www.renaultsportclub.co.uk/...cup-gordini-silverstone-raider-specifications

This link is good to tell what to look out for.

Also regarding a genuine Liquid Yellow Cup, there was only 1 (i'm talking actual Cup, not a normal one with a cup pack), it was on this forum but sold (new owner might be on here actually).

What @suj has said is bang on..

To add to the above, the reason it has an anthracite (silver) nose is that it was specificed with the “anthracite pack” where instead of the front bumper, rear diffuser and wing mirrors being gloss black they are anthracite instead

Reactions: suj
Thanks for the advice guys. it seems that the car has anthracite wheels and the red calipers so I would say this has been specified with a cup pack.

additionally it looks to have the anthracite pack and the Renault i.d. ‘Yellow Fascia’ R.S. Recaro Interior Pack

Interesting, I never knew that you could buy a cup or specify the cup pack after.

Yeah, similar to the MK2, real cup and cup packed ones exist, I don't know if differences like MK3 ones are there.

Also to add to confusion, many people paint their wheels anthracite and brakes red, for non-Cup packs, so even harder to spot.

I think offering cup pack on a normal Clio is a good idea, as you get the benefits of stiffer suspension (if you plan to do more trackdays etc) but then gain creature comforts like cruise control, keyless entry, digital climate control and electric wing mirrors to name a few.

As most won't see the weight difference of an actual cup or even care, as the creature comforts outway the weight difference.

Also regarding a genuine Liquid Yellow Cup, there was only 1 (i'm talking actual Cup, not a normal one with a cup pack), it was on this forum but sold (new owner might be on here actually).

Yep, this is it. I sold it to Sam who is still on here, but I don't know where it went when he sold it. As it is a proper cup it has the black strips down the side.

Attachments

• IMG_20160926_155533.jpg
    IMG_20160926_155533.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
Reactions: suj
Ahh, so I got it the wrong way round, I thought Sam sold it new person and they were on here, but now I remember your name!

Reactions: john_walker74
As far as I was aware the colours of the springs are a giveaway.

197 cup front: blue/orange
197 cup rear: blue/orange

200 cup front: blue/violet
200 cup rear: blue/orange

this is a "real" cup all others are imposters :smiley:

Attachments

• DSC_4926.jpg
    DSC_4926.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • DSC_4936.jpg
    DSC_4936.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 30