Cruising speed for best mpg?

stuey

Gold Member
Hi guys, I will have to start using my 200 to commute to work soon instead of my work van, what is the best cruising speed to get the highest mpg?

I found 54mph to be the best in the 197, it was climbing well until I had to go into a city, hit 37.3mpg

If you're doing any long distance then the 197 just isn't the right car. I did 120 miles/day in mine for a while and it cost me a bomb, was cheaper to move local to work and rent somewhere!

TBH I wouldn't have a clue, evertime I try and cruise the pedal shouts at me to be pressed so I end up watching the fuel gauge move..

It will be about 45 miles a day mostly four days a week. I was thinking of around 60mph as I have no need to hurry. I cant really sell my house to get nearer!

TBH I wouldn't have a clue, evertime I try and cruise the pedal shouts at me to be pressed so I end up watching the fuel gauge move..

Sometimes 75mph looks more exciting.... and then 80mph looks more exciting again.. then 90mph again makes you think it will make the journey more bearable.....

Terrible car for motorways.

45 there and back?

I find around 65 is decent for making steady process and having an ok mpg.

I used to do 90 miles per day, cost me £70+ per week at an average of 55mph/36mpg.

I drove from the nw to the ne at 70-90mph and that cost me £60, the next time I did it I sat at 55-65 and it cost me almost half that

48mph will get you 39-40mpg. Though for all your going to save is just go with the flow of traffic.

45 there and back?

I find around 65 is decent for making steady process and having an ok mpg.

I used to do 90 miles per day, cost me £70+ per week at an average of 55mph/36mpg.

I drove from the nw to the ne at 70-90mph and that cost me £60, the next time I did it I sat at 55-65 and it cost me almost half that

Yep 45 miles round trip. Thanks for all the feedback :smile:

45mpg straight to a car dealer to pick up a diesel, then continue journey!

In all seriousness, under 60mph short shifting (under 3k) all the way will see mid 30's.

50-55mph seems to be the best for me but I can't do that speed on the M20/M2, I will be overtaken by the HGV's!!

I try to stick to 65-70mph and its not too bad, maybe 35mpg.

On my trip up to Manchester at the start of the year I managed about 33 on the dash so what that is realistically I don't know. That was at about 70 on the motorway.

Soon took a nose dive when I was in the back roads of Warwickshire though!

Lets be honest- who has a car like this and really worries about mpg?
once you hit 3k revs in 3rd you wrap it round to 6/7k and just keep going and the smile on your face is worth £70 alone :jump1: