Cracked Manifold Advice Please

Hi

I have an Ultra Red Clio 197 07 plate, that I've owned for about a year and half now. She's done 43,000 miles now.

Unfortunately the manifold cracked in two places in around August last year. I had the manifold re-welded and unfortunately a couple of months later it's cracked again.

I've heard that this is a common problem, and I'm after some advice really on what to do for the best please?

It would seem that my options are:

1. I can order a new manifold from Renault -but these are not 'available' and it could be months before I get one...

2. Try and get it repaired again, however, that doesn't seem viable, as it's likely to do the same again?

3. Replace it with an after market manifold but I don't want to go down that route due to the de-cat.

Advice would be really appreciated.I don't seem to be having much luck with this car!

Many thanks

Linz

Hi

I have an Ultra Red Clio 197 07 plate, that I've owned for about a year and half now. She's done 43,000 miles now.

Unfortunately the manifold cracked in two places in around August last year. I had the manifold re-welded and unfortunately a couple of months later it's cracked again.

I've heard that this is a common problem, and I'm after some advice really on what to do for the best please?

It would seem that my options are:

1. I can order a new manifold from Renault -but these are not 'available' and it could be months before I get one...

2. Try and get it repaired again, however, that doesn't seem viable, as it's likely to do the same again?

3. Replace it with an after market manifold but I don't want to go down that route due to the de-cat.

Advice would be really appreciated.I don't seem to be having much luck with this car!

Many thanks

Linz

You could go aftermarket and still keep a cat in there, you'd be down to one but they should still pass even with just one. Probably still work out cheaper than the OEM one.

I'm still amazed no one produces these independently outside of those chinese toyo ones, I'm almost tempted to take up welding and go into production just for the ****s and giggles....

You could go aftermarket and still keep a cat in there, you'd be down to one but they should still pass even with just one. Probably still work out cheaper than the OEM one.

I'm still amazed no one produces these independently outside of those chinese toyo ones, I'm almost tempted to take up welding and go into production just for the ****s and giggles....

Yeah my other half has been looking into it and he said he'd found one that I think was Ktech? I think that had a cat in it but it would need remapping and would end up costing about £1000... :'(

Its going to be an expensive job, unfortunately is just the thing with changing the manifolds.

The labour is extensive as the subframe has to be dropped, so your looking £200-£300 labour.

You have several options:

1. Toyosports manifold. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c68adf6c4)

This deletes the pre cat (there is a small pre-cat in the oem manifold, followed by a larger solitary cat which would remain intact), it might need a remap, depends if it generates a flat spot, and then if that bothers you. Also advisable to change the lower engine mounts for this manifold as it can rub on the subframe.

2. Find a second hand OEM manifold

I did this when mine went, one cropped up for £100, about 9 months ago and its still fine, but ofc its possible to go again.

3. Repair

It depends where its gone, some of them crack at the flange at the top where it goes into the engine block, a weld usually sorts this out. If its gone at the flexis which is fairly common, then you can buy new flexis off eBay (about £40), have the old ones cut out and the new ones welded back in. I considered this, but unless your garage also happens to have a very good welder, you'd need to get it done at a welding firm and your car would be out of action until thats done separately, where as the first two options are a swap job.

Goodluck

Last edited: