Cornering speeds.....

And you have your own runway to test 0-100mph vids?

I do! The joys of living on the South Coast, abandoned WWII airfields are everywhere :wink:

I went out for a blast earlier, there's an exit from the M27 that is a wide, constant radius 270 degree bend that I used to go around daily in my Cup.

Tried it at the same speed as the Cup and the 200 wasn't even moving, just planted all the way around. Tried it 5mph faster and it wiggled a tiny bit. 10mph faster and it felt just like my Cup.

Except much faster.

Loving the 200 so far. Every time I take it out I gain confidence and lean on it a little more. I wish Easytrack would get some Goodwood dates up soon, need to have something to work towards :smile:

Last edited:
I had an M3, S2000, 500 Abarth esseesse and now a Golf GTI and a Clio RS Gordini. The Clio is the more quick in the corner. It seems to have glue on the tires....:wink:

Love the way these cars are setup, made use of the lift off oversteer on a sharp left hander the other day, big grin entertainment.

I decided to send my H&R springs back as will going with the cup shocks/springs instead as was thinking I'd prob. ruin the cars setup by fitting 3rd party stuff so stick with what Renaultsport designed/tested

I hadn't been out in the Clio for a while until today and couldn't believe how quickly it can corner compared to what I remembered LOL!

I know my own limit is below the 200s capabilities. I could go beyond my old 182s handling limits pretty easy and it got scitterish but not in the 200. This did make the 182 extremely fun though!!

My tires are very close to the end of their life at the moment so I know not to push hard, I can't wait to reload the rubber :smile:

I must be the crappest driver as everytime I try take a corner fast it just slides! Tyres seem ok though :-s

tyre pressures just as important as the quality of tyre itself.

Also recommend getting some track driver training, most circuits offer this plus best bit is the knowledge and skill you learn there you'll take with you whatever car you drive :smile:

Best money I've ever spent in the past

That's a point not checked in a while whoops!
Hmm how much looking at if don't mind me asking? It has been on my mind for such training. I feel I drive it horribly if honest

Starts from a few hundred and goes up from there, also depends if you use known drivers as well, but to start with you can use the standard track guys.

Just go to you nearest race circuit's website details usually up there about it.

I must be the crappest driver as everytime I try take a corner fast it just slides! Tyres seem ok though :-s

What tyres have you got on your car cause it definitely shouldn't be sliding unless its a slippy surface, your going way too fast or your using the brakes. Try taking some speed off before you hit the bend/corner and then when you hit the bend/corner accelerate through it. This helps to move the weight from the back of the car to the front and will make the car feel more stable through the bend/corner.

Last edited:
RS-Halla26, get yourself booked on a trackday (~£150) and you can get tuition on the day for ~£25 although with some operators it's actually free. That way you get to really exploit the Clio in relative safety AND get the driver training in your own car. It might work out cheaper doing it that way then doing an actual driver training course.

Alternatively, your local Advanced Drivers will run a course for £149 that will teach you A LOT and all the money goes to charity.

I never experienced this on the roads as I drive like a granny. However, the difference in cornering speeds on track is so noticeable especially in the wet. At brands hatch I was going past 172/182 etc like its totally different class car.

My favourite corner is the 270 degree bend when turning off the M25 (going north) onto the M40. The bend just gets tighter and tighter and I have never had any car that will keep up with the Clio on it. It is one of those moments when you realise precisely why you bought the car.

I had some tuition in a Porsche Cayman earlier this year and the one lesson I learned that has transformed my confidence in my car is how you hold the steering wheel. I used to be more of a 10-2 man but have now gone to 1/4 -3. The real benefit of this is that I can keep my fingertips on the wheel. You have so many nerves in your fingertips that you can really feel what the car is doing but most drivers just grip the wheel with their palms. Try it and see.

Just got the tyres the car came with new which are conti's i think? I think it might be just myself tbh, I had a crash a long time ago on a corner in which the car slid out. Ever since just feel like every corner I drive I'm going to slip on, but when i seem to put the power down the car feels like its starting to slide to the direction of the corner. Definitely going to look into some tuition, them prices seem very reasonable!

Interesting to note that a lot of these positive comments are coming from 197owners with a 'non cup' set up which is a postive for me seeing as I couldn't live with the cup packed 200 so I now have a standard 200.

Bring on the corners :thumbup:

I still maintain that a lot of this has to do with the tires to a large extent, coupled with a well sorted chassis. I don't know of may other road cars that can easily pull over 1G (had up to 1.3G before the car slid excessively) laterally.

I wish some of these car dealers would read that last post.

The ammount of clios i've looked at and they've had crap tyres fitted.

Available car dot com, i've looked at three of them there and all had cheap tyres fitted then they try to make out it's a good thing, 'It's got four new tyres on it' :bye2: