Continental Contisport 3 & 5's - advice please!

Hi guys,

To start, over the course of the last few weeks - I've noticed a grinding sound coming from the steering when turning left. Ignored it at first, but then it became an annoyance.

Weekend just gone I popped over to my parents and sought the advice of my brother in law ( ex Costworth employee ) and my old man ( has worked in the tyre trade previously and now works for Mercedes AMG Powertrains ) - so both have their fair share of experience in this field. We got the car under a jack thinking we'd be looking at a wishbone or ball joint problem and noticed that my front tyres had completely HAD IT - you could completely see the wire and canvass from underneath the tyre. Both my brother in law and old man could clearly see the tracking was out and clearly had been for sometime, which in turn had obviously f**cked the tyres and caused possible extra strain on turning.

First thing Monday morning, I rang Tyres Northampton ( brilliant service, doubt you'll come across a BETTER tyre shop ) and had it booked in to replace the Contisport Contact 3's with some 5's at the front. I don't and didn't see the need in replacing the rears as they were only slightly worn and can see another 2k in these before I'd need to worry. Now the car has had a fresh front set and an alignment - it's never handled better. I bought the car from Hardings Renault in Hemel Hempstead and if I'm honest didn't recieve the best of after service, especially as they "cherry pick" these cars and I've had nothing but problems since the warranty ran out..I can only presume the alignment was out when buying the car as it's done barely 3.5k since I've had it ( a year next month ).

I'd just like to know how long you guys envision a pair of Contisport 3's on the rear lasting? I know these aren't the best of tyres and know the 5's at the front will hold out a lot better. The guy in the tyre shop seemed to think they only had a few miles left on them, but countless people have looked at them and said they're fine - apparently just a trait of a tyre salesman.

( I'll try and get some pics of the rears tonight ).

Cheers

Sam

Rear tyres would normally last 2-3 times longer than your fronts usually with a FWD vehicle though not always the case I suppose.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, how the hell did you let the tyres get that bad?

Not judging you however that could have been a very costly mistake in more than one way.

My first set of conti3 on the back lasted nearly 38000 miles I had two sets on the front though

Just out of interest, how the hell did you let the tyres get that bad?

Not judging you however that could have been a very costly mistake in more than one way.

The car was used only probably for 2-3 minimal journeys per week. I had a company car which I used for most things and I didn't use the Clio when it was wet and miserable. So I never really felt the need to check the tyres.

However as above, I started hearing a grinding noise when turning left - and checked the tyres and was horrified.

I'm not irresponsible with things like that, so I was quite set back when I saw the wear.

My first set of conti3 on the back lasted nearly 38000 miles I had two sets on the front though

Thanks Roy, I'm having a set put on the back anyway this weekend as it feels a little odd with a different set on the rear axel.

In my experience there is only a tiny difference between sc3 and sc5, no way I would change the rears just to match, waste of money!

In my experience there is only a tiny difference between sc3 and sc5, no way I would change the rears just to match, waste of money!

I'm not changing the rears to match.. I've found a massive difference personally when pushing the car with the 3's and 5's.

The only reason I'm changing the rears is because they probably only have 2k left in them at the best anyway.