Complete lack of grip nr. 2

I seem to keep on having problems :mellow:
Just got home and almost put the clio 2 times in a ditch :scared:

This also happened to me the first days that I had it:

Was not that fast on a roundabout and suddenly the rear end broke out, could countersteer easely and nothing happened.

On the normal roads the car holds really well, you can push it throug a corner that you feel the tires moving underneath the car.

Today I had to drive about 10 miles to a town, I took the small country roads

(small like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKogryORIRQ&feature=related :thumbup:smile:

because they are working at the main roads and well it's just more fun (or so I thought)

I wasn't driving insane, juist fluid. I brake in front a 90 degree corner, cut the corner on the inside, when I exit I push the gas and the rear just breaks out as if it was a rear wheel driven car :bored:
The rear almost went in a ditch but I could keep it out...

On the way back same story on one turn... the rear breaks out without giving a warning or anything, but this time even worse, countersteered, rear when to the otherside and managed to hold it to the road.

No esp or whatever warning lights or nothing

Tyres are Dunlop SP sportmaxx but in 18"

Anyone had this happen before? Or are clios light on their rear?

As I said in the other thread, the rear of mine if completely planted so its the exact opposite. Please dont go binning it, it looks way too nice to be put into a ditch! I cant understand how it can step out when you give it the beans either, I mean Im not arguing that it happened but it just goes against everything to do with FWD cars! Should be lift-off oversteer and power understeer. Least it is with mine!

Have you used those tires before then? TBH thats the only thing I can think unless Renault really screwed up the geometry on just your car, which I cant see happening!

I seem to keep on having problems :mellow:
Just got home and almost put the clio 2 times in a ditch :scared:

This also happened to me the first days that I had it:

Was not that fast on a roundabout and suddenly the rear end broke out, could countersteer easely and nothing happened.

On the normal roads the car holds really well, you can push it throug a corner that you feel the tires moving underneath the car.

Today I had to drive about 10 miles to a town, I took the small country roads

(small like these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKogryORIRQ&feature=related :thumbup:smile:

because they are working at the main roads and well it's just more fun (or so I thought)

I wasn't driving insane, juist fluid. I brake in front a 90 degree corner, cut the corner on the inside, when I exit I push the gas and the rear just breaks out as if it was a rear wheel driven car :bored:
The rear almost went in a ditch but I could keep it out...

On the way back same story on one turn... the rear breaks out without giving a warning or anything, but this time even worse, countersteered, rear when to the otherside and managed to hold it to the road.

No esp or whatever warning lights or nothing

Tyres are Dunlop SP sportmaxx but in 18"

Anyone had this happen before? Or are clios light on their rear?

ASR on or off?

As I said in the other thread, the rear of mine if completely planted so its the exact opposite. Please dont go binning it, it looks way too nice to be put into a ditch! I cant understand how it can step out when you give it the beans either, I mean Im not arguing that it happened but it just goes against everything to do with FWD cars! Should be lift-off oversteer and power understeer. Least it is with mine!

Have you used those tires before then? TBH thats the only thing I can think unless Renault really screwed up the geometry on just your car, which I cant see happening!

I also don't understand. Just phoned to a renault dealer who is also rides rally with an R3 maxi. He also has an regular 197 for on the road and it's the first time he hears this.

He first told me to check the tire pressure. Which I will when I've finished eating... He said that it also could be that one of the coils is leaking a bit (but it be the first time that he heard a 197 doing that)

When it first happened on the roundabout, a friend was with me who also drives rally. He also found it very strange because: We weren't going really fast and there were 2 passengers in the rear seats so he was heavier at the rear

ASR=ESP??? Yes it was on? Like I said, no warning lights, nothing

mine also used to do this, first unexpected, then i could on purpose, like trying to drift, i assume you got non cup chassis? i fink it maybe down to the height of the car and how soft the standard suspension is, as the F1/cup suspension is stiffer, mine doesnt seem to do it now since i got it lowered, i get more understeer.

mine also used to do this, first unexpected, then i could on purpose, like trying to drift, i assume you got non cup chassis? i fink it maybe down to the height of the car and how soft the standard suspension is, as the F1/cup suspension is stiffer, mine doesnt seem to do it now since i got it lowered, i get more understeer.

Yess indeed, non cup chassis. Did you only get springs or coilovers?

H&R springs mate, an improvement over standard, well i think, not as harsh as some people make out. but i am considering getting KW coilovers, has i went in steburns 197 the other week and the handing in that is something else (good driving aswell)

I have had this once too . . . . . wow this website is so useful for owners . . . . back end slipped but counter steered and caught it luckily enough. only happened the once all other times its under steer from pushing it hard into corners . . . . i only have one suggestions to what this might be as it seems i was hard on the breaks at the time and maybe the nose dived a bit too much and the back had little or no weight to gain grip????

1st time, was a tight right round a roundabout, so back end becoming light slightly greasey road, after that i showed my mate on a wet road, but it was half way road an islandmaking sure i went round sharply and i tapped the accelerator and felt the back kick out.

I have had this once too . . . . . wow this website is so useful for owners . . . . back end slipped but counter steered and caught it luckily enough. only happened the once all other times its under steer from pushing it hard into corners . . . . i only have one suggestions to what this might be as it seems i was hard on the breaks at the time and maybe the nose dived a bit too much and the back had little or no weight to gain grip????

Glad (maybe not the correct word) to hear I'm not the only one.
Intresting theory you got there about the braking... you could be right.
I'll ask some mates who ride rally what they think about it.

I just went for a drive on a new part of the industry park that they are making out here (no one come overthere at this time), more margin for errors when the rear breaks out.
Pushed the clio through every corner that I could find and it was like it was on rails. Turned the whole time on a small roundabout and I got nothing but understeer:001_huh:... The rear wasn't even thinking about breaking out

i think condition of the road my be a factor as both times i tired it the road was greasey or wet.

ESP light flashing?

Nope not with me.

I also went for a check up to the gas station to look if the tyres were on the right pressure that the Renault guy advised

2.4bar/34.8psi Front 2.2bar/31.9psi Rear (for 18" tyres)
They were on

2.1bar/30.4Psi Front 2.0bar/29Psi Rear

After I got home, I went to check on the turn were it happened.
Couldn't seen anything strange it even isn't that sharp and it hasn't rained in days overhere...

road.jpg

Pushed the clio through every corner that I could find and it was like it was on rails.

I have only really driven my Clio on dry roads, but I would also say that it handles 'Like a Train!':thumbup:...

I have yet to manage to drive it faster than my angels can fly! Though I have tried! :rolleyes:

I'm no expert but, from your pics, it looks like a brake early & power through type series of bends...

Prob just a greasy country road, tractor mud etc... Avoid those telegraph poles though! They don't move much! :@!