Coilovers - what else to to while fitting?

Hey chaps - Just wanted the benefit of all your experience, I currently have some coil overs sat at my house ready to fit to my 200....at long last.

Mot test booked in for 4th september so want to get that all sorted before fitting just in case of any surprise costs involved.

Then I will be getting my coilovers fitted and setup...so back to my real question, while having the coilovers fitted with solid top mounts is it worth having any other parts related to suspension upgraded at the same time keen to know your thoughts.

My car is a road car only no track days...cheers.

Hi kevlar, it depends on your budget and how long you want to keep the car possibly.

There are so many wear items on the 297/ 200 suspension;

Upper and lower hub carrier ball joints
Wishbone ball joints
Anti rotational links
Anti roll bar links
Track rod ends
Wishbone bushes
Anti roll bar bushes
Rear beam bushes
Rear shock upper and lower mounts

Mine is a road car only too and I'm just about to change the lot including new shocks, springs and OEM top mounts, but it's going to cost around £2000.

I appreciate that all my parts may not need replacing. But it's future proofing the suspension for some time. My reasoning is that pay once for labour (because I'm mechanically inept) rather than pay every year when the MOT picks something up, or something starts to knock / feel loose. I know I'll pay a fortune now, but whilst everything is stripped, it will hopefully reduce expenditure in the long run and give me a like new feeling now.

If you trust your garage, ask them to check all the bushes and joints as they take it apart and give you an honest forecast as to what needs doing now or may need doing soon.

These cars are all about their chassis and wear can spoil the car completely.

Hope this helps

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Hi kevlar, it depends on your budget and how long you want to keep the car possibly.

There are so many wear items on the 297/ 200 suspension;

Upper and lower hub carrier ball joints
Wishbone ball joints
Anti rotational links
Anti roll bar links
Track rod ends
Wishbone bushes
Anti roll bar bushes
Rear beam bushes
Rear shock upper and lower mounts

Mine is a road car only too and I'm just about to change the lot including new shocks, springs and OEM top mounts, but it's going to cost around £2000.

I appreciate that all my parts may not need replacing. But it's future proofing the suspension for some time. My reasoning is that pay once for labour (because I'm mechanically inept) rather than pay every year when the MOT picks something up, or something starts to knock / feel loose. I know I'll pay a fortune now, but whilst everything is stripped, it will hopefully reduce expenditure in the long run and give me a like new feeling now.

If you trust your garage, ask them to check all the bushes and joints as they take it apart and give you an honest forecast as to what needs doing now or may need doing soon.

These cars are all about their chassis and wear can spoil the car completely.

Hope this helps

Thats quite a reply thanks - hmm food for thought - I dont plan on selling it any time soon, but you know life happens.

my cars done 31k, its been checked over start of the year nothing negative picked up on the suspension front - fair play to you outlaying that kind of cash and 100% agree its all about the handling on these cars.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Sorry, clearly meant 197 / 200

31k isn't high miles, so many parts may be absolutely fine. I'd probably be steered (no pun intended) by the garage in your case. No point spending unnecessarily. Says me renewing everything :-(

Last edited: