Clutch problem / slipping?

OK, a while ago i had a problem with my car that i put down to my mats or something, but it came back today.

There was an accident on the M6 today, and as a result i spent about 30mins sat in very slow moving traffic.

At the end of it, the traffic cleared and i put my foot down and the revs lept up, then back down again as if the clutch was slipping. this happened in every gear, and also when not changing gear, just accelerating.

I could literally see the rev counter go up 500rpm then straight back down again, almost as if it was slipping, then gripping.

Its stopped doing it now, but this is twice its happened, so i want to get it sorted under warranty, but does anyone know what it actually was? as explaining it to Renault might be hard, now its not doing it anymore?!

....if you have been riding the clutch (or just using it alot) at all in the slow traffic it will get hot (obviously)...this will cause it to slip, but it might gain grip again when its cooler.....my golf did this all the time. The clutch was on it's last legs but it is a 100k car.....wouldn't expect this to happen to a newish car so I would take it in. If I'm in stop-start traffic I will leave a massiv gap to the car in front and let the car just tick over in second gear with no gas.....trouble is, someone always fills the gap!!!

I've noticed that my clutch smells a bit reversing out of my drive, or if I have to give it some stick off the line (!).....but I don't think it slips, but it is concerning me a little........going on previous threads, there does appear to be issues with the clutch on the 197

slipping clutch

Hi
My 197 did this from new, if you were continually stopping and starting in traffic the clutch pedal would go solid with no play atall and the clutch would slip, it would take nearly an houtr to return to normal. It ended up being the clutch master cylinder. This was replaced 7 monts ago and it hasn't slipped since. hope you get it sorted.

you just cooked your clutch mate, nothin to worry about too much. I did it in our first 197 while queing to get into the WSR at donnington

ive had this one before, was sat on the fone for 3/4 hour, went to pull away and the cluch was sliping like f**k, one i got going, it cleared, i put it down to heat, never happend again since.:wink:

if the clutch smells or gets hot and slips.....trust me it does it no good at all i have seen some right states over the years - never excessively slip your clutch - its not always the drive plate that suffers !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
Could be a sticking clutch cable?
its an hydraulic system mate ....but that doesnt mean something couldnt stick or jam

oops! - I knew that too!! - i'll get back in my hole;/

hmm, i did think it might have got cooked, but i wasnt riding the clutch from what i remember. most of the time was spent not moving.

got some other things i want to take it in for so will ask them to look. there is a knock from the steering on lock too, hoping it will need a steering rack and i can get a clio200 one put in :smiley:

hmm, i did think it might have got cooked, but i wasnt riding the clutch from what i remember. most of the time was spent not moving.

got some other things i want to take it in for so will ask them to look. there is a knock from the steering on lock too, hoping it will need a steering rack and i can get a clio200 one put in :smiley:

i was thinking of pricing up a 200 cup rack for mine :w00t:

Hi mate, I had this knocking in my steering and got it sorted. It seems to be happening as I turned the wheel back from full lock only in one direction tho. I think the dealer said it was something to do with steering revo...some sort of linkage somewhere I guess...

On another subject sometimes my clutch burns occasionally say if I need to pull off the drive quickly or drive the card hard for a fair few miles. I'm a bit worried about it, the clutch seems pretty tight but I don't like the idea of it burning.....