Clio vs Fiesta st

I had mine on order from leicester but there was a delay after order

managed to find mine at peterborough

Same as Chris Harris I don't get the hate for the 200T either. Both are great cars, both have their plus points, both have their drawbacks.

I can't for one second say that seeing another ST on the road will make my ownership/driving enjoyment suffer though.

Oh, and Ashton, if you're going to do a comparison it's only fair if you mention the leather heated Recaro seats the ST comes with (and the fact that the ST has 200bhp as standard too not forgetting the standard 214lbft) :tongueout:

the new renault cup cars have to do rolling starts as the clutch in them cant handle the beating of launch control

st all the way for me, but.............. they will be common as muck

I wouldn't really care if the ST gets too common. Likelihood is that there will be more tuning bits available.

Why would I want ANOTHER car that is hard to tune, hard to style and everything is insanely expensive for it because of those reasons.

To be honest I hated the look of the new 200T when it first appeared but after seeing a few months of press pictures and seeing Ashtons car on here I love the look of it.

I actually think that in that video it makes the ST look dated and like the 'face lifted four year old car' that it is...

Don't get me wrong though, performance wise that little thing certainly shifts but its not a fair test imo, has to be standard (base car) vs standard (base car)

Its a bit like the Focus RS vs Megane 250 Superchips test, I took no notice of it as its not like for like. We all know a Stage 1 Megane 250 wont win in a drag against Focus RS with a £400 re-map.

Also I'm not really getting all the hate for the Clio either to be honest. I think its a cracking looking little car, I'd have preferred a black diffuser though. I'll be following the Top Gear magazine long term test as closely as I am their Fiesta ST long termer.

Don't get me wrong though, performance wise that little thing certainly shifts but its not a fair test imo, has to be standard (base car) vs standard (base car)

Beat me to it Mark, totally pointless test on that video IMO, give the Clio a map from RS Tuning then see what the outcome is, I'm pretty sure once Paul starts mapping these there'll be some good power to be had from them - once that's the case do the test again then see what comes out on top.

Do like the Fiesta though, but I just couldn't bring myself to have something with a Ford badge on it, no offence to any of the owners on here

So if it was a handling and circuit test/lap times comparison, the Clio would have to be a non-Cup variant then I take it from the above?

That's a warranty approved modification added to the standard car just the same as the Mountune upgrade...you can order a brand new ST including the Mountune just like you can Cup suspension...and both cost exactly the same.

The comparison was absolutely fair.

Both cars have a lot going for them

Opinions will always be devided when something new comes out

The Renault is completely new and threw the rule books out the window. It was a very bold move for them

Ford have had 3.5 years of development with that car before putting the turbo version in the car.

Lets see what Renault.come up with in the next 3 years.

These will inevitably be pitched against each other. Each to their own but ironically the Fiesta ST is a closer to what you'd have expected the 200T to have been. I like the 200T but the Fiesta wins hands down IMO. Its a solid baseline car to develop further and like the 197/200, equally if you didn't change a wheel nut, still a brill car standard. I get the feeling that the styling of the Clio will date quicker too, and maybe was more to appease the accounts than its previous RS owners. Certainly everything being made on the same chassis will help. No real costs around styling clues for Rs (ie flared arches) and no 2 door option that would have lend itself to more of a hot hatch sporty look. Renault have had very limited success when they have attempted to be too radical. Remember the renault avantime!!!

I wouldn't buy a Clio at the mo cause I get the feeling that its going to take Renault a few goes to get this right, and they have no relationship with a established tuner that they can offer upgrades from the outset, without invalidating manufacturers warranty.

I don't mind popularity, it its warranted and it appears the Ford certainly is.

I wouldnt also wait too long for Clio if the 197/200 is anything to go off. The upgrades to date have amounted to different colours and some reference to 'something' they feel might encourage the buyer to think they are buying something different...

Last edited:
So if it was a handling and circuit test/lap times comparison, the Clio would have to be a non-Cup variant then I take it from the above?

That's a warranty approved modification added to the standard car just the same as the Mountune upgrade...you can order a brand new ST including the Mountune just like you can Cup suspension...and both cost exactly the same.

The comparison was absolutely fair.

Yes...until the inevitable 'Cup' model comes out :thumbup1:

My daughter has a new ST on order and quite frankly I think I am looking forward to her getting it as much as she is. Its an ST2 specced with loads of options and still came in discounted at under 17500. I am looking forward to driving it in comparison to my Alien 200.
Without doubt the 200T is a good car but its just not different enough to any other model in the range. I think one went in the opposite direction to me the other day, I checked the door mirror as it passed and saw twin exhausts but I still dont know what it was. The old 200 is distinctive (it certainly is in AG!), it bears no resemblance to a dynamique or any other car in the range. I accept the car is also about performance but if I had spent 21k on a car I would want it to have some street presence. Like a lot of others I wanted the 200T to be a car to succeed my 200 but having tried to like it neither the exterior, the interior nor the price inspire me.

My neighbour just bought picked up her white ST and showed us it last night. Really nice car. ST2 and they're putting it in for mountune for £600.

going to get a go in it over the weekend hopefully

Was just behind a new ST. Could only tell due to the big ST badge and twin pipes or I'd have tried to load my shopping into it. Ford make some fugly cars and Henry T was a major financial backer of Hitler so who cares about tuning options :wink: