Clio rs200 airbag light

Hello everyone newbie here,i am looking for some help regarding my clio rs200 mk3.The airbag light has been coming on and off for a couple of years now but over the last month it has got a lot worse to the point where every time its driven it’s going on and off intermittently.I have tried moving the wires underneath both seats and cleaned all connectors aswell,then I noticed every time the steering wheel was turned the light would come on.I then had the car plugged in for diagnostic check and it come back with drivers airbag,so I ordered a new squib but whilst stripping down I noticed what looks like a resistor or something just wrapped around two of the wires going to a plug in the back of the squib.What I would like to know is what is the purpose of this and would this be the problem with the airbag light.
I will try and send a photo.Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9999.jpeg
    IMG_9999.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
That my friend is what’s known as someone else’s bodge. Someone has installed a resistor (badly) to either try and mask a fault or perhaps previously run a steering wheel without an airbag. Ideally needs removing and tidying up, then you’ll know whether there is a fault elsewhere.

That my friend is what’s known as someone else’s bodge. Someone has installed a resistor (badly) to either try and mask a fault or perhaps previously run a steering wheel without an airbag. Ideally needs removing and tidying up, then you’ll know whether there is a fault elsewhere.
Thanks for the quick reply would you say then I remove resistor make good the wires then put it all back together and see if airbag light stays on or reacts differently.

Hello I have now taken the resistor out from the two wires started car back up now it looks like the airbag light is staying on now.Do you think I should put the new airbag squib on.Thanks

So it looks like the resistor was there to try and mask that issue. I’d be investigating what is causing the issue of the airbag light staying on. Can you confirm you are running the original steering wheel and airbag?

The clock spring might be broken I sorted a Japan import Clio 200 it had one of those deep dished steering wheels anyway putting a standard wheel back on constant airbag light so bought a new £28 replacement and it fixed the problem this a listing with the same photo but different seller.

1720910271766.png