Clio 3 Catastrophic Engine Failure - Australia

Hi guys.
Andrew from Melbourne, Australia here.
We have some reports here of a few Clio 3 catastrophic engine failures (six confirmed).
We are trying to work out if it is a problem elsewhere in the world.
Do you guys have many cases of this happening in the UK?
If so, what has been the cause?
Is it rare?
Thanks.

Last edited:
hi mate..sorry to hear that...havent heard about any tbh..hope you work it out soon..keep us updated on this pls

I only know of 1 who had bottom end failure, can't remeber the details - might have been a spun bearing?? It was [MENTION=150]simoxmino[/MENTION] who does seem to track his car ALOT!

(he has a thread in the project section if you want to read through 200 pages to maybe find details)

yeah its been quite a few bottom end failiures, three of my mates had them aswell, cars were perfectly maintained so that wasnt an issue. failliures occured at around 30-35k miles, only on the 200clios, 197 hadnt had this issue. there was also some faliures here on this site, so its quite well known issue. one of my mates engine was still under warranty, so was replaced, and two had to be rebuilt.

yeah its been quite a few bottom end failiures, three of my mates had them aswell, cars were perfectly maintained so that wasnt an issue. failliures occured at around 30-35k miles, only on the 200clios, 197 hadnt had this issue. there was also some faliures here on this site, so its quite well known issue. one of my mates engine was still under warranty, so was replaced, and two had to be rebuilt.

Do they know in particular which part of the bottom end caused the failure?

You had better add mine too the list as well.

Was running fine then bang, seems to have lost all compression. Turning it over by hand I can feel and hear something touching inside the engine.
I'll find out more when I get the head off today.

You had better add mine too the list as well.

Was running fine then bang, seems to have lost all compression. Turning it over by hand I can feel and hear something touching inside the engine.
I'll find out more when I get the head off today.

Sorry to hear.
Keep us posted on what happened please.

Sorry to hear.
Keep us posted on what happened please.

16 bent valves, one of the flywheel bolts had sheared....the timing belt was still in one piece, but I dont know if it had jumped a tooth or ten...Haven't got the sump off yet to check the damage in there...

Strange stuff, GL with the repair.
16 bent valves, one of the flywheel bolts had sheared....the timing belt was still in one piece, but I dont know if it had jumped a tooth or ten...Haven't got the sump off yet to check the damage in there...

Did you get the sump off ? There is a Renault spares in Shotts if you need a engine ? They used to have alot of 182, 172 engines when I was up a few times a few year ago ?? Worth a shout. Hope the damage is not too bad! :worried:

Did you get the sump off ? There is a Renault spares in Shotts if you need a engine ? They used to have alot of 182, 172 engines when I was up a few times a few year ago ?? Worth a shout. Hope the damage is not too bad! :worried:

The bottom end looks not to bad to be honest but it will be getting a full rebuild to a very high spec,so it looks like thats gonna be my next project.
Thats good to know for the future about the place in Shotts. I got an engine from Nic Harrison on here, its all in and running sweet.

All ready for an outing at Knockhill this weekend..

Last edited:
Good stuff m8 il give you a shout when I am up there. Il be up too, my mate is Belive or not lol! Getting married up at knockhill on Sunday . :clap: