Clio 200T Lauch control possible fault

I must first state that launch control is not something I use on the regular but have used before. However I recently demo'd the function to a friend of mine on an empty road at night. I put it in sport/manual mode as usual and pulled the paddles back to engage launch control and floored the throttle, as usual the revs raised to 3500rpm....However I let off the throttle for a second only to reapply full throttle thinking it'd just engage back to 3500rpm only to be limited to 1500rpm & have the cars engine fighting against the brakes as if it was going to cut out whilst making a load of rally car-esque noises from the exhaust.

In the end I ended up driving off normally as I didn't want to overheat or even worse...blow my gearbox up haha!

Of course this doesn't affect daily driving but it'd be interesting to know if anyone else has experienced this!

Last edited:
Sounds odd. Not experienced that myself, but then again I just keep it planted, I do have a problem with wheel spin when I'm in race.

What kind of times you get?

Sounds odd. Not experienced that myself, but then again I just keep it planted, I do have a problem with wheel spin when I'm in race.

What kind of times you get?

I like to use race mode when its dry as it feels a little quicker. I tried to time myself using the RS monitor app but every time I accelerated hard my phone flies off the windscreen and into the back haha! It did once say 8.7 to 62 mph but I think that's a bit out.

What about yourself?

8.7, thats a lot out lol.

I did 0-62 in 6.3

Jesus thats good going, 6.3 is nearing Megane Sport times! I think most people get around 6.5 to 6.9 seconds, it never feels that frantic in the mk4 compared to the older revvy sport Clios in my mind!

If you let go of the throttle at all it disengages launch control, so you were just trying to drive with your foot on the brake.

Mine does that you have got to keep throttle pinned and let brake go , if you lift throttle any before brake the launch all goes to fcuck and does what you describe

Ive only dared to try launch control once so far.
When i'd pulled both paddles back to enagage launch I held the brake and pinned the throttle but the revs only climbed to about 1.5k. I let go of the brake and it kind of stuttered for a second and then went like a scalded cat.
Cant think what I might have done wrong apart from not having the throttle all the way down?!

Ive only dared to try launch control once so far.
When i'd pulled both paddles back to enagage launch I held the brake and pinned the throttle but the revs only climbed to about 1.5k. I let go of the brake and it kind of stuttered for a second and then went like a scalded cat.
Cant think what I might have done wrong apart from not having the throttle all the way down?!

plant the throttle to the floor...

if you find yourself spinning ease off just after you lift the brake

Throttle pedal must be planted all the way to the floor or it wont work (there's a button the pedal touches). As above.