Clio 200 vs Megane 250

Hey all,

I know this has probably been talked about before but i was really interested to find out.

6 months ago i bought a clio 200 and i love it! So much fun its unreal. I thought my smart roadster was fun but this just blows that away. However now that ive become used to the power and handling etc im after a bit more. After many hours on here researching and using the internet ive only found a few ways to increase power.

1. KTEC turbo (so far flopped)
2. JAMSPORT Supercharger (still in developement)
3. Engine swap with a Megane 2.0T (Not yet completed)

Lets just say theres nothing else really out there with the raliabilty of a good engine. I could mince meat the car but its a lot of work to undo if i want to sell it.

I now find myself drawing ever closer to the new megane 250. I really like the shape and design of it. The extra power which is great too, but i think because its a turbo there will be more oportunities for mods etc. However i could be wrong on this. In the What car? magazine i read this morning it got 5 stars where as the clio got 4 which is a shame because not so long ago everyone was saying the clio was the pick of the renaults.

I just think the clio is a little more fun than the megane but again i could be wrong because ive not test driven a megane.

Anyone else have any views on this?

Cheers all

I test drove the 250 and 200 before I ordered my 200. The megane is FAST, but going quickly was just too easy in it for me. With the lsd in the 250 you basically just point it where you want it and floor it. A new driver could spank it everywhere and not have to worry. This kind of took the fun factor out of it for me a bit though. I just felt almost like the drive wasnt as rewarding for that reason, almost like the car had done all the work and it made me feel a bit like I had been cheated on!

For me it just came down to the fact that I came back from the 200 test drive with a bigger smile on my face. Weather that has anything to do with the fact that I owned a 197 for 3 years and just wasnt able to get the most from the 250 on a test drive where as I could with the 200 i dont know, but the breaks on the 250 were smoking when I got back from the drive so I wasnt being shy with it. That 250 is quick though, really quick! I'm not ovally convinced by turbos engines really, I much prefer na, but the power delivery was really smooth in the 250 and there is torque everywhere!

Having never owned a French car, I went and drove both with an open mind. I didn't think the Megane was the 50% better car for the 50% more it costs.

Chassis wasn't as good, it felt a little dull and quite heavy. Sure you can make it faster in a straight line, but what's the point of that?

But that's me.

I cant really speak for the 250 but I had a Megane R26 for three years before the Clio - as a track toy & on decent roads the Megane was great fun, far more able than my limited bravery when throwing it into the corners.

As a daily driver it was a bit of a pain - the cup chassis made it quite unpleasant to drive on broken up roads (of which we have loads around here) & I found the driving position a bit flawed.

I had a good look at the 250 when I was in the dealers - inside its a definate improvement on the previous model but I really didnt like the lack of visibility & body kit which looked a bit "max power" to me. Its also a lot of money & being a renault its always advisable to wait for the first or second revision to get the new model niggles sorted.

I suspect it will come down to how you use the car - for me the Clio is more fun than the Megane was, but that was mostly down to the p*ss poor roads around here. I do miss the turbo & havent worked out how to get the best from the clio engine yet but I expect it to be just as fast on my early morning runs to work as the R26 (and the Subarus before that).

N.

arite lads,

really interested to see whats being said here as I'm in the process of deciding between the 250 and 200. i have a 197 at the minute which i've had for nearly 3 years and i love it to bits, cant fault it. thinking of changing in december but still not sure which road to go down, megane 250 or clio 200....havent test driven either yet but will definately do tht before making a decision.

the megane does seem a bit over-priced for what you get, thats maybe why i already feel drawn more to the clio 200. that and the fact that i love the 197 so much! the other thing am not so keen on with the megane is the lack of a spoiler...i have the cup soiler on my 197, and to me it just looks like somethings missing from the megane, maybe thts just me though. apart from tht it looks alright though.

to me i thnk the clio will be hard to beat but then i should probably leave that statemeant until i've test driven both!
Col

There's no denying the Megane is an excellent car, far exceeds pretty much everything in the class... I think the Clio being so good and so much cheaper just sways a lot of people that way.

Oh, another consideration is adults can't sit in the back of the Megane. My head was bent by touching the roof.

The 250 is a serious piece of kit, awesomely quick. Our 182 does a reasonable job of keeping up with 225's/R26's but the 250 ran away from me lol

I dont think you can go wrong with either, I'd probably say the 200 is more fun, the 250 is more powerful, both amazin cars

250 250cup - performance easily accessable and supremely capable on the road without even trying - feels "to easy" at times

197 (200) - you have to work it more but its more involving and rewarding - seems faster than it is when on full song - touring car for the road - sport setting always on!

Driven both, and cliophil is spot on. The meg is too easy, and therefore boring in my eyes. Still a very capable car though

The 250 was 7 seconds quicker round Bedford than a 200 in a recent Autocar test. Must be very easy to drive in that case!

I've tried both as I was tempted by the Megane, although I found the Clio more fun and can't really justify the extra cost of the Megane over the Clio.

Try the Megane and see what you think...