Clio 200 steering rack

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked 1000 times, but just want to make certain, is a clio 200 cup steering rack a direct replacement on a 197, or more specifically an R27?

And if yes, are the benefits worth the money? My steering rack is pretty dead, RPD have the 200 cup rack on sale in black Friday deal and was wondering if worth it or not :smile:

TIA

Anybody know where i can buy new Steering rack bolts? i believe they are single use? and also subframe bolts, are they also single use?

You can reuse the bolt but as good practise should be replaced make sure you tighten to the correct amount or you will crush the two sides of the coloumn end making it very difficult to remove and attach in the future. If your unfortunite or rough with the bolt the metal cap that holds the cam nut can come off and usually cant be refitted as it is pinched into the metal.
1638104752815.png
1638104812747.png

Reactions: Sean197
great! thanks for the reply bud, and noted =), i shall try find the toque settings and go from there! will give Renault a ring and see if they have any new bolts in stock, like you say its just good practice =)

@turkie172 hope you're well mate and sorry to bother you, with the nut that you linked in the picture with the bolt, do you know its its 2 nuts I need, or 4? Got the 2 bolts today from Renault, £4 each which to be honest I thought was going to be a whole lot more, but wasn't sure if I needed a nut for both sides of the bolt holes on the rack (4 in total), or just the 2 :smile:

You only need 1 bolt and 1 nut but if the cap is still on the nut I would only change the bolt and leave it looking original are you sure your up for it as I took the whole subframe off to change the rack so I had full access cleaned and changed anti rollbar bushes at the same time. make sure you dont rotate the steering wheel when disconected ( you can break the airbag clockspring and offset the steering angle sensor) and to separate the joint from the steering rack you push it at the same vertical level back and put it on get it to the right height then bring it onto the rack.
1639767666582.png
1639767956220.png
1639768376605.png
1639768522629.png

ahhhhh crap haha! i ordered 2 thinking it was the bolts which bolt the rack to the subframe haha! ah well at least i have a spare if i were to get another =)

yeah should be fine, done various things like this before, got some new arb bushes also, and also some sand paper and paint, going to make it all nice, may as well while its all off

Well if the manifold was leaking nows the time to do that as well and check the heat shield over the starter motor make sure you dont disturb it as it can make contact with the constant live starter terminal and blow the fuse for starting the car.

im actually changing the starter motor too while its all off, just thought would be alot easier to get to, its alittle lazy, been told by a few peeps on here these megane starters do get lazy sometimes, but no harm in changing it while i can =)

Right forgot your Megane converted the only thing I did wrong was remove the heat shield without checking what the two clips were located on remember disconnect the battery as there is a constant live wire to the battery from the starter.

Awesome! Cheers bud :smile:, I'm handy with the spanners and done things like this before, but always like to go into a job armed with as much info as possible, so I appreciate the help very much :smile:

managed to swap the rack and ARB bushes today, went really well =), the only guide i saw was someone taking all the hub and everything out, i decided to just disconnect the wishbones from the subframe, undo one side of the anti-rotation link, and the wishbone drops right down out of the way =)

havent taken for a drive yet, i want to get it tracked up before i do take it, but the steering on the driveway feels silky smooth now and no horrible banging noise, so fingers crossed its done its job =)

Thanks again to everyone for providing me with info needed, appreciate it and have a great xmas and new year =)

Reactions: Big Ben and Sean197
hey guys! just a quick follow up. had the car in and tracked up today, was VEEEERY far out on the tracking, could literally hear the tyres scrubbing slightly going up the road haha, however, its all done, took it out for a drive and the rack has completely changed the car! no more horrible knocking, and the whole front end feels super tight and its filled me with loads of confidence =). can tell its alittle quicker but i dont think it will take long to get used to =))

Hey, question please, is not the steering rack the same for all CLIO III including RS? or does the RS or RS200 CUP have a dedicated one? I would assume TRW JRM490 fits all.

Not sure about other Clios but there definitely is a difference between "standard" RS and Cup/Cup-Chassis as the latter have a rack with a slightly quicker ratio.

Reactions: Dancliovalver