Clio 200 steering rack

Matthew bradbury

Paid Member
Heya guys

My mechanic just went to fit a whole refresh of genuine cup suspension and has said that there’s loads of play in both the “tie rod ends”am I needing a new steering rack:worried:?

Feel like I’ve replaced everything since buying 2 months ago!!

Thanks as always

Well I am not too sure about the cup rack I went to replace the standard 197 rack and it has turned into a problem, I got a genuine rack and it will not line up and the wheel is at 45degrees to the right to keep the rack centered the dealers have had 2 extra racks delivered and they are the same Renault said the old and new Renault parts systems were giving the wrong part number and a number that Renault said was the right one was ordered and it also was wrong same problem. I had play in the rack when it was central it's worth while disconnecting the tie rod ends and pulling and pushing the rack side to side and feel for a skip or play as you pull it trough side to side. Now a cup rack is like £330 but comes fully assembled just fit and adjust the inner track rods and only seems like genuine ones are the only option (although checking I found another make that the dimensions were good but the make was strange) there so that's like £70 and the outer tie rod ends there are options averaging £30 - £50. If the suspension has been let go then the rack components have been taking a bagging especially if the anti rotation links were bad and if the car was tracked then clipping the kerbs will not be good for the life of the suspension and steering. So with all considered a new genuine rack is not that much extra.

Reactions: Matthew bradbury
Thanks for this I might just bite the bullet and spend the £330... sorry to sound so stupid but the rack will include the tie rod ends? I won’t have to pay any extra?

The genuine Clio racks come with everything fitted but get the mechanic to check the alignment of the new rack when it is centered with the old rack before starting, at the point where the steering Column connects to the steering rack on the floor behind the pedals at the universal joint. The joint can only connect in one position per revolution so if it does not match the original rack position the steering wheel will not be straight and like mine not enough adjustment in the track rods to straighten the steering wheel and align the wheels. Now I will have to take the subframe off again and change the rack a second time but I am waiting for another new rack the last three from Renault are all wrong and the dealer has had the car for 4 hrs making sure I am not an idiot but agree, I am an idiot but not with regards to fitting the rack. Mine was out 52Degrees clockwise I know this because the steering angle sensor says so through the Renault clip.
1584295880669.png

Heya guys

My mechanic just went to fit a whole refresh of genuine cup suspension and has said that there’s loads of play in both the “tie rod ends”am I needing a new steering rack:worried:?

Feel like I’ve replaced everything since buying 2 months ago!!

Thanks as always

you only need the tie rod ends no need for a new rack

Reactions: Matthew bradbury
You cant the whole this is tamper proofed sealed you have to break the bearing shield and the adjustment cap is glued in place besides all that I bought a brand new rack from Renault they need to build a steering rack that fits, I know if it was a track car I would consider it but I know working with motorcycles racing on the roads like the TT something as simple as a steering damper has killed racers so as far as steering and braking is concerned I will never let something go if I have any doubt about. The only thing that could easily correct this is the intermediate shaft its fixed positions either end but the sliding middle is splined but has what looks like plastic splines and the end is tapered inwards so you cant slide them apart again a safety part.
1584313581865.png

No my old rack jumps half way through the stroke (dead centre) the track rod inners and outers are fine I had new ones ready when I pulled the boots back to final test them before replacement.

The dealer texted me and said they were still working on it and the steering wheel is at 45 degrees to the right I have recalibrated the steering angle sensor to stop the warning light and message. To be honest I am going to the breaking yard tomorrow and getting the linking shaft in the photo above I am going to un pinch the middle and try and disconnect and with the plastic splines compensate the angle back to centre. Or if there is a used steering rack there I might just get that put my track rod ends onto it and get refunded MarcB said all the Renault parts was being moved to French warehouses and that a lot of stuff had been messed up in the move. But so far out of 3 steering racks and the car in the dealer for 4 hrs to check everything was on the up and up Renault technical centre involved it's not looking good, a forth rack was delivered under a different part number from the Renault technical centre and that was wrong also out by the same amount.

Reactions: suj and RSRowe
It’s a bit of a pain. I’m still yet to reset mine in clip, but it doesn’t bother me too much as it only comes on occasionally and I only drive it for trackdays.

I went round my mates a couple of weeks ago and checked his track rods - both of which seemed to be adjusted an even amount. Puzzling

Yea but your steering angle sensor is connected to the stability and traction control you might have yours disabled a guy who's brother raced Clio cup said that it had to be all disabled as hitting kerbing on track gave false positive and traction control would effect power delivery. I noticed as well I put the old and new rack together on the ground while fitting and the new rack and the new rake seemed to be adjusted correctly tracking wise but the pinion was a thing I never thought of checking.