Clio 197 radio help

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help. I am looking to put the original stereo back in my 197. It's the update list model. The issue is that when i attach all the cables the display shows blank and obviously i can't put the code in without it. The clock shows constantly from there until the battery goes flat. I've checked the feed to the display and it looks ok and i did notice once that it displayed "Renault" at one stage so i don't think the display is broken. Hopefully this is something that someone knows about from previous efforts? For the record i also bought another stereo and the same happens with that - the supplier said he took it out a car and was working fine and given the issue is exactly the same as my original stereo then it's surely not the actual stereo that is the issue. So the cables look fine and the display shows blank when all the cables are attached - from there the clock display just stays lit and drains the battery. Help if you can?

What part number is the display and the radio and what controls are to the right of the steering wheel does it have phone logos on it. Some radios only work with certain displays I had to sort a jap import Clio 200 and found this out.

What part number is the display and the radio and what controls are to the right of the steering wheel does it have phone logos on it. Some radios only work with certain displays I had to sort a jap import Clio 200 and found this out.
I have taken a few photos to assist with that. Do they help?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3638.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3638.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail_IMG_3639.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3639.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_3641.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3641.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_3642.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3642.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 11
  • thumbnail_IMG_3643.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3643.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_3644.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3644.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 10
There are two types of display, the 7-sement display and the one with the dot matrix. As yours shows Renault it appears to be the dot matrix display.
Can you show the first picture with the full 8200... number again?
It also seems that your radio comes from a Megane 2/Scenic. For Clio 3 197 (Phase 1/mk1) it should be the number 8200607915 or 8200633624 (different colour of the front cover). Your current radio could only be compatible with the small 7-segment diplay (they come in different sizes or numbers of lines) from the Megane. But I'll have to look up the numbers again, it might still be compatible depending on the equipment.

There are two types of display, the 7-sement display and the one with the dot matrix. As yours shows Renault it appears to be the dot matrix display.
Can you show the first picture with the full 8200... number again?
It also seems that your radio comes from a Megane 2/Scenic. For Clio 3 197 (Phase 1/mk1) it should be the number 8200607915 or 8200633624 (different colour of the front cover). Your current radio could only be compatible with the small 7-segment diplay (they come in different sizes or numbers of lines) from the Megane. But I'll have to look up the numbers again, it might still be compatible depending on the equipment.
Hi, hopefully the attached helps. The two stereos i have are both the same. The guy i bought the car from said it was the original stereo and the new one came out a 197 (not sure if that helps with ID). Thanks for your assistance - you clearly know more than i do. :smile:

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3645.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3645.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 3
Yes, 8200755144 is an original 197 7-segment display. According to the part number, it is compatible with radio type RAD01, RAD02 or RAD03. The radio 8200607918 shows the types RAD03 or RAD06. Since both have RAD03, it should actually work and the wiring should be the same, strange. You should check the cables again and make sure that there is enough battery charge.

Last edited:
Yes, 8200755144 is an original 197 7-segment display. According to the part number, it is compatible with radio type RAD01, RAD02 or RAD03. The radio 8200607918 shows the types RAD03 or RAD06. Since both have RAD03, it should actually work and the wiring should be the same, strange. You should check the cables again and make sure that there is enough battery charge.
Oh - thanks for your help. I have a full battery now - used one of them battery chargers from work which reconditions batteries, so that is not a problem. I can give it one more chance and then probably just go for a cry! I'm fairly sure the cables are ok but i can't be sure i guess. I'll let you know how that goes. I might try to attach the radio and then disconnect the battery for a bit and see if it powers up when reconnected. That's all i've got in the locker for this weekend.

So i've tried to disconnect and reconnect the battery and no joy. On checking the wiring i've noticed the below spare cable (blue) at the radio end, plus a couple of spare wires at the display (that don't look like they go anywhere). Any ideas? The stereo I removed was a Pioneer which had proper harness cabling plus there was a parrot installed too. I'm starting to think some wiring has been messed with to install the parrot and pioneer head unit. The pioneer stereo did work but the volume control was broken and defaulted to increase the loadness to max so that's why i took it out......

So i've tried to disconnect and reconnect the battery and no joy. On checking the wiring i've noticed the below spare cable (blue) at the radio end, plus a couple of spare wires at the display (that don't look like they go anywhere). Any ideas? The stereo I removed was a Pioneer which had proper harness cabling plus there was a parrot installed too. I'm starting to think some wiring has been messed with to install the parrot and pioneer head unit. The pioneer stereo did work but the volume control was broken and defaulted to increase the loadness to max so that's why i took it out......

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3647.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3647.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_IMG_3646.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3646.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail_IMG_3648.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3648.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 5
The blue connector you have found is for the climate control unit if you have automatic climate control. The black one could be for the temperature sensor, as there are only two cables or it is the connector for the warning light on the display (fasten seat belt/airbag).
I assume that GND (pin 8 of connector A in the large black connector) is no longer making proper contact (in your third picture above) or that there is something wrong with the ignition plus and permanent plus. Otherwise the radio could be defective, but since it showed "Renault" once before, I think it is a contact problem.
The radio sends commands to the display several times via ("multimedia") CAN bus to communicate with it, the display acknowledges this and shows the things accordingly.
Because you are using the Pioneer radio, it may have been wired differently, because you actually need adapters for these. At least if the buttons on the steering wheel are to continue to work - just to mention it, I rule that out, because the cables look ok in the pictures.
1724073263190.jpeg
C1 is the connector to the display.

Last edited:
The blue connector you have found is for the climate control unit if you have automatic climate control. The black one could be for the temperature sensor, as there are only two cables or it is the connector for the warning light on the display (fasten seat belt/airbag).
I assume that GND (pin 8 of connector A in the large black connector) is no longer making proper contact (in your third picture above) or that there is something wrong with the ignition plus and permanent plus. Otherwise the radio could be defective, but since it showed "Renault" once before, I think it is a contact problem.
The radio sends commands to the display several times via ("multimedia") CAN bus to communicate with it, the display acknowledges this and shows the things accordingly.
Because you are using the Pioneer radio, it may have been wired differently, because you actually need adapters for these. At least if the buttons on the steering wheel are to continue to work - just to mention it, I rule that out, because the cables look ok in the pictures.
View attachment 158260
C1 is the connector to the display.
Thanks so much for your efforts on this. The black wire (A-8) does look a bit loose but when i tug on it the whole metal connection moves so i don't think it's that. The wire at C1-6 (GND) on yellow block is missing completely though - There are only five wires coming out the back of C1. That seems to match to the pioneer harness. Is that maybe the issue? I guess i'd need to know which wire that connects to at the display and i can try to run another wire to replace the missing wire and see if that helps. The possible missing wire is top middle on the attached photo.........thumbnail_IMG_3649.jpg

I got the picture from the internet, it seems to be a mistake, because it is probably the wiring from the older tuner list radio, where pin 4 is swapped with pin 6. Here is something about it in French
Tuner List wiring
Pin 6 remains empty (JA [yellow] Connector). Here is the circuit diagram, maybe it will help (Radio = 261, Display = 653, Steering wheel controls = 1519 ). The cable colors are also abbreviated in French.

1724098480234.png1724098569837.png
1724098649156.png
1724098758425.png1724098793355.png

Last edited:
I got the picture from the internet, it seems to be a mistake, because it is probably the wiring from the older tuner list radio, where pin 4 is swapped with pin 6. Here is something about it in French
Tuner List wiring
Pin 6 remains empty (JA [yellow] Connector). Here is the circuit diagram, maybe it will help (Radio = 261, Display = 653, Steering wheel controls = 1519 ). The cable colors are also abbreviated in French.

View attachment 158270View attachment 158271
View attachment 158273
View attachment 158274View attachment 158275
Hi. Again, thanks very much for your help. I think it's probably time to admit defeat and call in the experts. I will update the thread if i find out what's wrong as it may help someone else. Your help has been useful and hats off to you for making to effort to assist. J.

Similar Thread Suggestions