Clio 197 & Megane 230 R26

Just wondering if anybody on here has owned both? Can they be compared to each other?

MPG wise, much difference if you dont rape the arse off them? I.e a work journey at 50mph on B roads.

Just want overall opinions really :smile: Thanks

Not got a 230 but when I drive the 200 it returns around 5-10 mpg more then when I drive the 265 trophy.

When the wife drives them they are about the same.

Either way if you are worried about running costs you are looking at the wrong cars.

This month the clio and meg have cost me a total running cost of over £900 which doesn't include petrol, tax or insurance.

At some point you will be looking at some hefty bills.

Both will handle and drive totally different and you need a proper test to see which you prefer.

If you are doing a steady 50mph commute I'd base mpg on 30 at best.

Ok well I would say the Clio is more fun!

It is more agile imo with cup chassis going on my experience of a 197 cupped, 200 cupped and the trophy which has cup chassis that I suspect handles better than a R26.

However it depends on what you call fun?

I am able to drive the meg quicker than the Clio but the clio is a far better driving experience imo

That is that I find the clio a far more of a raw driving experience in that it is more chuckable, revy and smaller.

However if I had to choose either or, I would have the meg.

Again this is the new meg though not the old one and I have not driven the old one.

That's why you need to drive both as they drive totally different and what one person likes the other doesn't. As well as like I say if I had to have one and not both the clio would go despite me considering it the better hot hatch experience.

If that makes sense.

Oh and if you want to mod it then I would go R27 all day long.

Either way they are both a cracking car

Ok well I would say the Clio is more fun!

It is more agile imo with cup chassis going on my experience of a 197 cupped, 200 cupped and the trophy which has cup chassis that I suspect handles better than a R26.

However it depends on what you call fun?

I am able to drive the meg quicker than the Clio but the clio is a far better driving experience imo

That is that I find the clio a far more of a raw driving experience in that it is more chuckable, revy and smaller.

However if I had to choose either or, I would have the meg.

Again this is the new meg though not the old one and I have not driven the old one.

That's why you need to drive both as they drive totally different and what one person likes the other doesn't. As well as like I say if I had to have one and not both the clio would go despite me considering it the better hot hatch experience.

If that makes sense.

Oh and if you want to mod it then I would go R27 all day long.

Either way they are both a cracking car

Thanks for your advice and help! Renaultsport in your blood! haha

We have had 9 new renaults in 9 years without issue. Inc 5 RS's

The trick is to get to know the dealership for servicing etc.

You could say I'm well known in mine!

In fact I'm currently sat here in it with the meg booked in for Monday.

I had an R26 and now I got a 200FF with cup chassis. Clio definitely a more 'spirited' drive. Megane faster in straight line, don't think so on twisties. I get around 26mpg with Clio, I think it was only slightly less with Megane? I never used to look to be honest, but the Megane never got any motorway driving as I took it to Tenerife, so the mpg would be marginally lower anyway, as never any long runs. I think the costs are about the same for running each car IMO

I was driving my Clio (200) on a commute to work 80 miles, once a week. My combined cycle was around 30MPG, that was with my mileage split perfectly between motorway and town.

On the motorway I was getting 36MPG @ 60mph (Cruise Control)

Now I only drive the clio round town and never on the motorway I get 24.5MPG

My missus has got her heart set on an R26, but we have not driven one yet so I cant comment. However I did passenger an 8min Bridge to Gantry lap of the ring in an R26R, that was quite simply unforgettable!!!!!

I haven't driven either so can't comment on what they are like to drive. However, I have heard they are about the same on fuel. In fact, some have claimed they get higher MPG's from an R26.