Clio 197 shape engine swap to with Megane RS 250

Hey all, so I'm new here and right now I've got a 2007 Mk3 Clio 1.6 16V {K4M engine} (4 door phase 1) and I've got HUGE plans I'd like to do to this baby.
IMG_20190215_124504.jpg
For starters I'm definitely looking at doing an engine swap. So probably buying a donor Megane 250 and building over as much as I can? Only issue is I'm out in South Africa so Renault custom part availability is pretty limited X_X

My plans are to build in to Megane 250 (F4rt - 874) engine into my car as well as the gearbox and as many other parts I can build over. I know the engine produces about 184kw stock in that big fat megane so in my little clio it should be heaps of fun. Has anyone really got in depth knowledge on this though and could maybe lend some good advice? I'll probably end up buying an accident damaged Megane for donations, but would there be any other parts needed that I can't get from either my clio or the megane? And/or does anyone know of anyone who's done this and how much of a performance increase this produces? I know I might be in the minority building up the 4 door non RS clio, but I've fallen absolutely in love with this little car.

Also body wise I'm looking to add a big spoiler (bigger than cup spoiler) , I've already resprayed and made (my own version X_X) custom Renault F1 Team rims and then I would love to add the RS rear bumper to the car (just incredibly hard to find)
IMG_20190519_170827.jpg
Anyone who might have some insight on this thread?

As well as the interior - looking to change up if possible - I've got nothing against the interior so I might just redo the seats and do some color changes on the dash - but does anyone know of any alternative ideas here?

suspension and brakes could be an issue with that much power in a standard clio. I have a 275 megane as well as a 197 clio and the megane comes with bigger discs and brembos.

I thought about that , but I figured I'd be able to transplant both the discs and pads from the megane as well - granted I'd probably be looking at getting new brake lines and all

I thought about that , but I figured I'd be able to transplant both the discs and pads from the megane as well - granted I'd probably be looking at getting new brake lines and all

The megane has a 5 stud 114.3 pattern where the standard clio has 4 stud. The brembo caliper probably mounts differently as the whole hub assembly is different on RS models. Could be a tricky conversion.

The megane has a 5 stud 114.3 pattern where the standard clio has 4 stud. The brembo caliper probably mounts differently as the whole hub assembly is different on RS models. Could be a tricky conversion.
How difficult are we talking here? I would in essence have the whole megane 250 as a donor so I should be able to take over all the knuckles and what not? - But further in terms of suspension how many aftermarket items would I be looking at here?

I run a Clio 197, Megane 250 engine/225 box.The best way forward, is to deal with each problem as you go, and seek advice, when the problem occurs.It has taken me over a year, to get a perfectly running car, but stick with it, its well worth all the effort.

Reactions: cptclio3.666
I run a Clio 197, Megane 250 engine/225 box.The best way forward, is to deal with each problem as you go, and seek advice, when the problem occurs.It has taken me over a year, to get a perfectly running car, but stick with it, its well worth all the effort.
This is really good news on my end - although why not the 250 gearbox?

How difficult are we talking here? I would in essence have the whole megane 250 as a donor so I should be able to take over all the knuckles and what not? - But further in terms of suspension how many aftermarket items would I be looking at here?
Not sure how difficult. Not sure anyone has done it before. I just know the whole hub setup is different on the RS models. Might work out cheaper to buy a 197 and a 250 and put the 250 stuff on the 197 as that would be easier. But as you said you like the car you have.

Not sure how difficult. Not sure anyone has done it before. I just know the whole hub setup is different on the RS models. Might work out cheaper to buy a 197 and a 250 and put the 250 stuff on the 197 as that would be easier. But as you said you like the car you have.
Yeah it's grown on me way too much - but I'm hoping I can make it fit =D

I owned a standard Mk3 for a good few years and looked into modifying as the 197 was too expensive when it first came out, when I finally climbed into a 197 years later the difference was unbelieveable. Just leaving aside the engine/power, the way it sits on the road feels like a completely different car. The wheelbase and track, suspension/hub assembly, brakes, exhaust system and subframe are all different and built to deliver the power on the road. The RS bumpers also won't fit as the wings/quarters are wider than a standard Mk3.

If the conversion is even possible without affecting the integrity/safety of the vehicle, the cost would easily overshadow a decent 197, which I suspect will be plenty powerful in itself.

I get it, I teared up walking away from my 1.6 for the last time... the 197 is a good consolation though. :wink:

Reactions: av4625
Would there be a performance difference from 225 to 250? Otherwise I've heard quite a few people mention using the R26?
You can get the R26, to 250/280bhp, and the 250, to around 300bhp, quite easily. Much above 280 on the r26, you should go forged. I will be getting my 250 eng. Meglio, to around 350bhp, and not forging it. I will need to be careful with the 225 box, and try and keep the torque down, and the revs up!. Converting the Clio to 225 Engine/box, is fairly straightforward. With the 250 engine, being that bit larger, cooling/rad position, cooling tank, and lots of other parts, make it a lot harder. 225 throttle body, works well,250 throttle body, has more problems. I could go on!.( NO, Please stop!.)

I owned a standard Mk3 for a good few years and looked into modifying as the 197 was too expensive when it first came out, when I finally climbed into a 197 years later the difference was unbelieveable. Just leaving aside the engine/power, the way it sits on the road feels like a completely different car. The wheelbase and track, suspension/hub assembly, brakes, exhaust system and subframe are all different and built to deliver the power on the road. The RS bumpers also won't fit as the wings/quarters are wider than a standard Mk3.

If the conversion is even possible without affecting the integrity/safety of the vehicle, the cost would easily overshadow a decent 197, which I suspect will be plenty powerful in itself.

I get it, I teared up walking away from my 1.6 for the last time... the 197 is a good consolation though. :wink:
Ahhhhhhh you're giving me so much to think about here - I really do like my car so much and I want to go all out, but now I'm considering the 197 X_X .. Do you think I should rather just go for a freeflow exhaust and maybe a new intake manifold and cold air intake and call it a day on the mk3? I just love how lightweight the clio is compared to most other cars and the power to weight ratio with the F4rt engine would be off the charts. Also I'm surrounded by a bunch of old world car enthusiasts who look down on Renault. So I'd just love to show them up with one

You can get the R26, to 250/280bhp, and the 250, to around 300bhp, quite easily. Much above 280 on the r26, you should go forged. I will be getting my 250 eng. Meglio, to around 350bhp, and not forging it. I will need to be careful with the 225 box, and try and keep the torque down, and the revs up!. Converting the Clio to 225 Engine/box, is fairly straightforward. With the 250 engine, being that bit larger, cooling/rad position, cooling tank, and lots of other parts, make it a lot harder. 225 throttle body, works well,250 throttle body, has more problems. I could go on!.( NO, Please stop!.)
You guys are really changing my mind here, any suggestions for mods I should rather do on the Mk3? - possibly engine swops that'll go easier? (wink wink) .. or should I definitely rather go for a 197/200?

You guys are really changing my mind here, any suggestions for mods I should rather do on the Mk3? - possibly engine swops that'll go easier? (wink wink) .. or should I definitely rather go for a 197/200?
defo go for a 197, its built for better handling. The NA is fun or you could meg swap it. I think buying a 197 and 250 and meg swapping would be cheaper than meg swapping the 1.6

No offence, mate, but why the hell would you do that to a shi*** 1.6? Get a decent Renault Sport either 197 or 200.

Reactions: Gus