clio 197 cup suspension

Hi all, have recently purchased a clio 197 in nimbus grey, have jus sold my scooby track car to pay for some mods to the clio and coz the scoob was gettin too expensive to run.

So far I have had the windows tinted, de badged the rear, fitted black front and rear badges. Ive ordered some smoked led tail lights, a ktr sprint spoiler and a powerflow exhaust system. Once the exhaust is on I'm goin for a re-map and itg panel filter.

Does anyone know of any good mappers other than KTR?

How do I tell if I have cup suspension?

Can I buy cup suspension and fit it to a standard 197, if so is it worth doin? how much is it? and where can I get it?

Is it worth the cost and will it make the ride a lot harder (I love in the countryside and it seems pretty hard already for these roads!)

Any other mods I shoud consider gettin- brakes for example?

All advice greatly appreciated :smile: if anyione can explain how to load pics on here I will show u what she looks like

Can I buy cup suspension and fit it to a standard 197, if so is it worth doin? how much is it? and where can I get it?

Is it worth the cost and will it make the ride a lot harder (I love in the countryside and it seems pretty hard already for these roads!)

Are your calipers red? if yes then you have cup suspension (unless someones painted your calipers red)

If you do not have cup suspension its the same set up so will bolt straight onto your 197.

The ride is quite hard yes.

Hi all, have recently purchased a clio 197 in nimbus grey, have jus sold my scooby track car to pay for some mods to the clio and coz the scoob was gettin too expensive to run.

So far I have had the windows tinted, de badged the rear, fitted black front and rear badges. Ive ordered some smoked led tail lights, a ktr sprint spoiler and a powerflow exhaust system. Once the exhaust is on I'm goin for a re-map and itg panel filter.

Does anyone know of any good mappers other than KTR?

Any other mods I shoud consider gettin- brakes for example?

All advice greatly appreciated :smile: if anyione can explain how to load pics on here I will show u what she looks like

First things first... Get some photos of the Scooby up as well as the Clio!!! :smiley:

Mappers; There's a few that do the RS's, the big ones being TDF, K-Tec and also RS Tuning, plus I think 519 Automotive have mapping facilities now too from memory. Depending on where you are in the country and if/how far you're willing to travel will be the main one I think as they're all around the same price and they're all very good at what they do.

Don't expect massive gains!!! :wink:

Suspension; Like Wayne has said, if your calipers are powder coated red then chances are you have the Cup Pack fitted. There will also be a circle coloured sticker on each shock and a paint dab on each spring that will denote them being Cup parts. I can't remember the Spring colours, but I think the Damper colour is orange...

To answer your question, yes Cup suspension can be retro-fitted easily enough, no modification is needed to mounting points etc.. You can get the Cup Dampers direct from Renault or get paid up on here (£5) and you'll be able to get a discount from one of the traders. Expect to pay £200-250 for a set of four Dampers. However, the Cup Springs are very expensive (around £600 per set) so you're better off going with H&R/Apex/Eibach Springs which are all around £200 and each have their own fans so it's hard to suggest one for you, but I use the H&Rs and live in a semi-rural area with a 10Mile B-Road commute and the Cup/H&R combination is perfect for me. It depends if you're used to stiff cars etc..

Other Modifications; The brakes are SERIOUSLY good. Unless you plan on doing umpteen trackdays every year or unless you are The Stig then you'll do well to overstep the limit of the standard setup. A lot of people like the Ferodo DS2500 Pads and some people have changed to a floating disc setup. Personally, I think the standard setup is pretty much bang on and owners of lesser cars would pay well into the thousands to get our setup.

A larger TB and a V6 Airbox or ITG Maxogen will free up some more power for you, but it depends how far you want to go, how much you want to spend and what you're going to use her for. These cars are not cheap or simple to extract more power from, don't be under any illusions that you can get an easy 15BHP from bolting on this or that. You can't.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, all good stuff. I think I'm gonna have to pop it down to renault to check what i have actually got because I had silver calipers when I bought it (painted them yellow to match black wheels) because Ive got a sticker on the shocks and green paint on the springs and then go from there as to wether or not I want to fit cup suspension.

I found this out eventually by the springs... If it has a blue and orange stripes it has cup suspension. I also have red callipers.

Would be cool if someone could confirm the colour marks on 197 cup springs as I've asked before and nobody replies but I've had people ask me if I wanna buy their ones but don't wanna give the colour code out ! Must be someone on here who knows taking the amount of people with cup setup lol

As far as I can remember my springs had orange dots on. They are off a cup suspensioned FF. but I didn't change they so didnt look at shocks etc.

well ive definately not got cup springs then! would guess that means ive not got cup shocks as well. Jus not sure if the ride is gonna be too hard, will have to suck it and see I think!

well ive definately not got cup springs then! would guess that means ive not got cup shocks as well. Jus not sure if the ride is gonna be too hard, will have to suck it and see I think!

I am probably going to be doing the same as you soon - fit eibach lowering springs to a 'non cup' pack clio. I also am worried about the ride being too stiff so hopefully will be taking a test drive in a 197 with H & R lowering springs at the end of this week.

The eibachs offer a slightly softer ride than the H & R's so if I can stand the H & R's then the eibachs should offer a suitable setup!!

The fact that you haven't got cup pack dampers should help prevent the ride being too stiff even with the stiffer springs.

The fact that you haven't got cup pack dampers should help prevent the ride being too stiff even with the stiffer springs.

Or it could completely bugger the handling up if the springs and dampers aren't matched very well...

Or it could completely bugger the handling up if the springs and dampers aren't matched very well...

exactly!! already got a set up im pretty happy with to be fair, jus wouldnt mind even better! :wink:

The cup suspension and standard springs will probably my preferred choice to be honest. i think I might stick with what I've got for now and get my re map done, then go from there. Went to powerflow yesterday after being booked in for a week for them to tell me they cant make me a custom exhaust?!? miltek one on the way it is then :smile:

Thats what I'm worried about :tongueout:anic:

What are the most likely issues you see arising from this setup? Although most 197 owners who had the standard non cup suspension setup (prior to the R27 and cup pack being made an option) who have fitted lowering springs seem to be happy with the results.