Cleaning wheels

Big Ben

Loves to rag the VAG!
Paid Member
My wheels are caked in brake dust and crap from a trackday. Never seen them so bad!
I have bilberry wheel cleaner and
iron-x and a karcher!
Which order would you boys use the products in?

Cheers

Personally I'd give them a pre wash with the Karcher and a quick sponge, then iron-x, then rinse off again with the Karcher then apply the cleaner!

Pressure wash wheels
Soak in wheel cleaner
Pressure wash
Soak in Iron X
Pressure wash
Soak again in wheel cleaner, agitate
Pressure wash

This would do me.

Anything that gets 95% of the shit off before you start to agitate / contact the abrasive dust etc with brushes or sponges etc.

Get all you can off contactless. Ie: with pressure washer and product !

Top tip Ben I place a clean cloth between the calipers and wheel when taking wheel off and refitting. Saves the alloys/calipers getting accidently scratched/chipped.
Pav you reading this?

I would first spray iron-x for dry and dirty wheels. In fact, most of that dirt is brake dust (iron particles).
Let it work lets say 5-8 minutes, then rinse with pressure washer. Hot water if possible.
Then next step is spray iron-x again, this time take soft detailing brush and use it with iron-x to clean it completely.
After that rinse again. Should be clean..

If there is still black dots of tar, use de-tar cleaning products.

Reactions: Cossers
I would first spray iron-x for dry and dirty wheels. In fact, most of that dirt is brake dust (iron particles).
Let it work lets say 5-8 minutes, then rinse with pressure washer. Hot water if possible.
Then next step is spray iron-x again, this time take soft detailing brush and use it with iron-x to clean it completely.
After that rinse again. Should be clean..

If there is still black dots of tar, use de-tar cleaning products.

Exactly how I use mine, saying that never need to use it a second time but on the initial I do it on the dry wheel and let it sit, if it's still not clean enough after the power wash then a second agitated coat will be enough as Antti O says.

Reactions: Big Ben
From what you are using I am presuming you have powder coated wheels, there is a difference between powdered coated & alloy. The main difference is no acid or strong TFRs on powder coated wheels and in reality no acid. The acid free chemicals imho are good for powder coated wheels if cleaned regular but not so good if they have a heavy build up of break dust due to not being washed for months. Too strong a TFR from car washes and acids damage powder coated surfaces, while acid will damage alloys if you have any damage on your alloys wheels as the acid gets in behind the damaged area.