Chris Aldred 197 Progress Thread

Evening Guys and Girls,

As I mentioned last week the car was going in to get the wheels refurbished, I dropped the car in on Saturday morning @ Elite Wheel Repair in Leeds. As soon as I spoke to them they give you a sense of confidence that you have brought the vehicle to the right place.
I headed back on Wednesday to collect the vehicle and WOW!! Its fair to say that I am impressed with their work, the finish on the wheel is incredible, he even powdered coated the discs to tidy it up.
new%20wheels_zpssggl0hjv.jpg

Today I decided to give the car a detailed clean and get round to de-badging the rear 'clio' badge, following the advise of a guide I used dental floss to get behind the letters and then used Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover to get rid of glue residue. The car looks so much better in my opinion. Opinions welcome on the car

DSC02810_zpsjbopruqo.jpg
DSC02806_zpskkjsjgik.jpg
DSC02803_zpspfr6q66a.jpg
DSC02797_zpsexf49ztw.jpg
DSC02812_zpsxyesekop.jpg
DSC02814_zpsexxe01nj.jpg
DSC02816_zpsseognkdm.jpg
DSC02818_zpsdwjztjpa.jpg

Very nice mate, nice of them to do the discs too, always nice to find a company that will go out of their way to show they care about the customer.

Any future plans? also thought about re-painting your calipers to finish things off, maybe even a different colour?

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to get the calipers done I'm just needing to save up to do it. Hard life being a student you see :wink: At first i was thinking of getting the calipers done in red but I'm also considering a candy purple? Thoughts?

Future Plans:
*Caliper respray
*Rear Diffuser Hydrodipping
* hydro dip engine bay components
*exhaust system and remap

That's ok mate, I can imagine it's hard modding whilst being a student, your doing well to afford and run a 197 though. [emoji4][emoji106]

I think the Clio looks perfect with red calipers, although something likecandy purple is different and could very look good.

The plans look good.

I would focus on finding an exhaust, it will put a massive smile on you face. Any idea what system you want to go for? Also rs tuning is the best place for a map on these cars.

Once again thanks for the help Luke! I'm drawn between a few systems:
*k-tec
*miltek
*oreca

Im wanting a good sound and also looking to decat it in the future. I'm wanting the clio to spit flames if I'm honest :wink: but what systems do you recommend? And what maps do they offer?

Once again thanks for the help Luke! I'm drawn between a few systems:
*k-tec
*miltek
*oreca

Im wanting a good sound and also looking to decat it in the future. I'm wanting the clio to spit flames if I'm honest :wink: but what systems do you recommend? And what maps do they offer?

If your looking around that sort of price range you could also look at the scorpion system.

The Ktec and the Miltek both sound nice. They aren't too over the top loud as they have a resonator silencer in the centre pipe. My personal opinion is these cars sound better with a resonated system. There are many who will disagree, but I recon with a non reasoned system it can make the exhaust sound tinny.

If your looking for pops bangs and flames, you'll need a decat pipe with either a manifold or pre cat delete. The toyosports is a popular manifold and is very reasonably priced(even from new). Word of warning, They are hard to fit so expect a 6 hour labour charge.

As for the mapping generally if you have a full decat, you'll get pops and bangs with any map. But if you want more pop and bangs ask for a crackle map.

I personally like the miltek noise the most however the build quality is shoddy, they don't tend to line up with the diffuser very well and they do cause rattles inside the cabin. The Ktec exhaust is slightly better built IMO. As for the oreca, that's a group N replica exhaust used on R3 clios. Personally I would leave it well alone as It's ridiculously noisy. Too much for the road.

Watch some videos of all the systems on YouTube. You'll get a rough idea of what you like.

Last edited: