Check emissions + exhaust popping a lot

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
Video here.

Check emissions light on dashboard and exhaust sounds a lot louder than usual, popping and banging a lot more than before dash light.

My guess is faulty lambda sensor throwing out readings causing overfuelling?

Now I know there are two lambda sensors pre and post cat IIRC one of them monitors the efficiency of the other so I could buy a replacement sensor and pick one change see if issues goes away if not try other one?

I think you've answered your own question here mate but I also can't quite believe it would pop that much due to a sensor. The idea of having two is as you said, to error check each other. Sounds really rich there, mentally rich. I'd avoid driving it if you can, there might be no catalytic converters left otherwise lmao.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I will pop a lot due to unburn fuel..the fueling may be wrong for some reason...

I think you've answered your own question here mate but I also can't quite believe it would pop that much due to a sensor. The idea of having two is as you said, to error check each other. Sounds really rich there, mentally rich. I'd avoid driving it if you can, there might be no catalytic converters left otherwise lmao.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yeah not driving it at all, been sharing my partners Citroen C1 last 2 weeks.

Could be a fueling issue as @Pav says, I'm just hoping it's a sensor as it's a cheap-ish fix :worried:

Would be worth getting it checked for fault codes. That should help identify if it's a sensor.

Aside from the popping and additional noise does it drive OK? Rev freely etc? Only ask as it will run flat if it's running really rich.

Also pull and check your spark plugs as these might give some indication to if it's running really rich. And the other thing would be to check your plugs at tight. I had the plug on cylinder 2 back off just slightly which caused compression to drop and subsequently ran badly. Easiest way to spot this is to have the engine running and touch the top of each coil and your feeling it tapping/knocking more than the others.

Hope you get to the cause of it soon!

Reactions: Pav
Would be worth getting it checked for fault codes. That should help identify if it's a sensor.

Aside from the popping and additional noise does it drive OK? Rev freely etc? Only ask as it will run flat if it's running really rich.

Also pull and check your spark plugs as these might give some indication to if it's running really rich. And the other thing would be to check your plugs at tight. I had the plug on cylinder 2 back off just slightly which caused compression to drop and subsequently ran badly. Easiest way to spot this is to have the engine running and touch the top of each coil and your feeling it tapping/knocking more than the others.

Hope you get to the cause of it soon!

No doesn't drive ok, revs don't climb as fast and feels down on power.

I'll try the spark plug thing you mentioned and see if one of them is loose.

When I've got the money I'll be getting it booked in for diagnostics so hopefully find out then what the issue is :worried:

Video here.

Check emissions light on dashboard and exhaust sounds a lot louder than usual, popping and banging a lot more than before dash light.

My guess is faulty lambda sensor throwing out readings causing overfuelling?

Now I know there are two lambda sensors pre and post cat IIRC one of them monitors the efficiency of the other so I could buy a replacement sensor and pick one change see if issues goes away if not try other one?

I have the same thing and spent 100's of € to replace everything we thought could be the cause. Exhaust manifold flexi's were leaking, so replaced those. Maybe the coilpacks and plugs? Yep, replaced aswell. Injectors: replaced. Mapsensor: replaced.

Turns out; it burned a valve.

Inspect your valves before doing anything else. Use an endoscoop.

Reactions: ///M
I have the same thing and spent 100's of € to replace everything we thought could be the cause. Exhaust manifold flexi's were leaking, so replaced those. Maybe the coilpacks and plugs? Yep, replaced aswell. Injectors: replaced. Mapsensor: replaced.

Interesting info Ken. Will look into this further :thumb:

be better with a compression test...

be better with a compression test...

DON'T do a compression test on these engines. You'll risk destroying the ECU. You should never try doing one unless you put 12v directly onto the solenoid of the starter and turn the engine over that way. You will need to open the throttle body by hand aswell.