change tyres round

Does anyone bother to change round their tyres. Just wondering if its worth it.
My fronts are getting low (not on blocks yet about 2mm off)
could change the fronts to the rears etc. and get another year (with the mileage I do) before replacing all 4 at once.

Just a bit dodgie to do on 2 jacks?

Del

I'd be swapping them round IMO can't see it costing much for a local garage to do for you, then just replacing all 4 at once when required.

Does anyone bother to change round their tyres. Just wondering if its worth it.
My fronts are getting low (not on blocks yet about 2mm off)
could change the fronts to the rears etc. and get another year (with the mileage I do) before replacing all 4 at once.

Just a bit dodgie to do on 2 jacks?

Del

Yes - i rotate tyres, new ones go on the rear and then swap to front when front wear down.

You can jack the clio at the front and also lift the rear wheel off the ground when you get it high enough (use an axle stand too!), can easily swap front and rear then.

Doesn't seem worth it if you're keeping the car long enough for another set of tyres anyway. Just leave them on the front until they're down to 1.6mm, then bang some new ones on.

Only time might be worth it is once you come to replace the rears, move the new-ish fronts to the back (usually a garage will do this free while changing the other 2 tyres). I know people will say you should keep your "best tyres" on the rear on a front wheel drive, but the front wear faster and if they're the same tyres (make/model) anyway, mehhh

I certainly wouldn't be paying to rotate them either way, either jack the car and do it yourself, or dont bother :smile:

As montana said, it's pretty easy to get both wheels on 1 side of the car off the floor just using a jack (jack using the front sill jacking point - the rear will lift up pretty quick).

I just use the Renault jack when I swap from summer tyres to winter tyres & vice versa. Never had any problems. I am about to make the swap & as have a pair of very new Conti 5s to go on I'll be putting them on the rear & putting the older Conti 3s on the front, the theory being that I can wear the fronts down quickly & have 5s all round. In your situation I would be swapping them over.

Been quoted £10 - £15 from kwik-fit to do, saves the hassle I suppose, I don't have axle stands only two standard jacks.

I personally dont see the point as you the eventually have to fork out for 4 tyres instead of 2 at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been quoted £10 - £15 from kwik-fit to do, saves the hassle I suppose, I don't have axle stands only two standard jacks.
Providing you have somewhere flat to do the jacking I would invest in the trolley Jack and axle stands , you only have to Jack your car up a few times and it's paid for itself. Plus other maintenance jobs can be done saving you more money.

I personally dont see the point as you the eventually have to fork out for 4 tyres instead of 2 at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The point is ... assuming your rear tyres are unlikely to wear out just on the rear (fwd car) , they are more likely to hit the 6 year expiry and start cracking meaning you have to replace them anyway. May aswell rotate them to the front and get more wear out of them , put new ones on the rear, secondly it will ensure you have more grip on the rear which makes the car behave more predictable when pressing on.

Don't get me wrong I only started doing it when I got the 197 (had a BMW before so wasn't possible) and it makes complete sense. It is a personal thing though , the tyre fitter was adamant you needed new ones always on the front.

my main reason for swapping them round is so I can choose a different make of tyre next time If I want to.
I will be asking for suggestions on different tyres later/next year
Thanks

Please buy a proper jack rather than the scissor jack that comes with the car, ok for emergencies, but thats about it!