Center Box Replacement with straight pipe - Birmingham Area - **Vid!!!**

When I rang the guy up.
He said there has been like 6 other people who have had it done already.
LOL good work soldier.

This mod sounds excellent (excuse the pun :tongueout: ) - now easy will it be to put the car back to standard when it comes time to sell???

:smile:

Pretty much impossible Rich. But, you won't want to sell it once you've done it!!! :smiley:

They have to cut the pipe before and after the silencer and then put the new piece in, so you'd need a new OEM cat-back.

Hi guys

Sorry to jump in on this thread!

Im new to the forum, being having a good read about the silencer removal and seen some of the vids on youtube.

I like the sound but think it might be a bit too much for me and was after something between the OEM and the straight through section sound wise.
In an ideal world id go for a full cat back but thought id try save some money for the time being and experiment.

I was thinking about going to one of these custom exhaust places (Torqueflow etc.) and trying a replacement centre silencer. If they know their stuff im hoping they will be able to sugest something that will give the sporty tone im after but at the fraction of the cost of a KTR/Milltek cat back.

Any input/ideas on this would be great! Im guessing it about finding the right silncer to sound decent with the rest of the cars exhaust!

First of all, welcome!!! :smile:

Secondly, I'd think any custom exhaust place (Longlife, Powerflow, TorqueFlow etc.) would be able to help you there. Your best bet would be to give one a ring and explain that you want more noise but you don't want ''loud''. The guys at these places get allsorts of requests, I've seen an S3 before that was almost completely silent despite being up around 300BHP. Clever stuff!!!

At normal 30, 50, 70 speeds when you're just crusing along, I can't say mine is that much louder than standard from inside the car. There's a bit of a deeper tone but it's not boomy and not intrusive. I love it, it's perfect for me but everybody has different tastes etc.

Where do you live? There might be somebody local to you who'd be ahppy to take you for a spin so you can hear it first hand? :smile:

Pretty much impossible Rich. But, you won't want to sell it once you've done it!!! :smiley:

They have to cut the pipe before and after the silencer and then put the new piece in, so you'd need a new OEM cat-back.

Cheers :smile:

I guess I could save the silencer and have it welded back in with some supports across the joints for strength when he time comes?

Yeah if you keep it then you'd always be able to get it put back in. It's a bit odd that from the cat all the way to the tailpipes is one piece on the Clio. On most cars there's a centre pipe and then the backbox which makes things like swapping back to standard a lot easier as it's then just a case of undoing a few bolts rather than chopping and welding.

Just been on the phone to a guy at long life and he said that they would be able to replace the center silencer but ''would not make any difference noise or performance wise''.

I thought they used different silencers on custom systems to give the customer the sound they were after so they must have some control over what silencer they used in my case to change the sound??

Ill try some other places for their opinions.

Would it be possible for me to hear yours in the Flesh sometime mate? Im thinking of doing this until I get the ktec fitted towards the end of the summer

No worries can't seem this being a problem?!

Also to those wondering if its too Loud, the only reason I went for this mod was I wanted a bit more volume but not too much, and mm'ed and rr'ed about it for a few weeks. In the end I though bu**er it!... Love it! The car whilst cold is a bit louder, its got a bit more of a nice deep burble and has some 'pops' when changing gear. When warmed up its noticeable quieter. The sounds only really, really noticeable if you drive it like you stole it or its really cold! Apart from that its just a slightly nicer stock sound with a few 'pops'! 1st and second are probably the most different in sound.

Also with a custom system I would expect you too pay a fair bit more than an 'out of the box' system. They also would be a lot louder than just having the silencer removed. Personally I would rather buy a system that has been tested and built specifically for the car, less likely to get issues.

I'd try somewhere else. If it's a smaller or less packed silencer then it should make a difference. Albiet a slight one, but if a slight one is all you're after then it might be worth a try... Still think you should have a ride out with somebody who's had it done, I think you'd want the silencer gone after that. :smiley:

Kieran, the Miltek cat-back replaces everything from the cat to the tailpipes which includes this silencer. I'm not sure if the Miltek system has a bullet type silencer where the silencer would be on an OEM exhaust as I've never seen one up close. I'd say there'd be no point in chopping up a Miltek to be honest... Unless you swapped it and got some cash and a standard exhaust in return in which case you'd be able to do this mod.

So do you think a small silencer such as this one

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p15254/JETEX-MICRO-ROUND-SILENCER-410MM-2/product_info.html

wouldnt make much difference, maybe i should just go for it and go for the straight through and save the hassle!

Longlife exhausts quoted £60.00 for the straight through, bit steep but they are pretty close to me (leeds).

If any one has a video inside the car when driving with the staright through pipe it would be apreciated!!

Honestly it's not that much louder when you're just diring at a steady 30, 50, 70 whatever. :wink:

You need to have a sit in one that's had it done really. £60 seems fair, I paid £70 because I didn't want to drive an extra 30 Miles to save £20. :smiley:

Im just going to go for it with the straight through. If its too loud then ill just pay to have the original welded back in!!

I paid 80 for mine! And couldn't care less it's great and done by a realiable company. If you look at a couple of pages back I posted a video inside mine whilst driving!?

Tayor,

Just been looking at your vids, on the first one from outside the car what are you revving to? It does sound sweet and its unnoticable at idle which is what i am after.

Thanks

I'm with Janspeed all the way.. Yer it is ****in loud but I wouldnt change it and i LOVE the looks you get as it pops through from 1st to 2nd double clutch it and you will get it in every gear... Will put some pictures up I had bespoke stainless steel tips built into the rear.. Sweet.. :smile: