Catback causing EML?

J90ack

Paid Member
Hi all

I might be going to view a 197 soon and after speaking to the owner, it currently has 2 dashboard lights showing. 1 for ABS (down to a warped disc, seems logical enough) and another apparently down to the catback exhaust causing emissions light. I didn't think a catback would cause a light to display, or am I wrong? Car also has an air filter if that makes any difference. Apparently the car runs fine and the current owner's had no issues, it's just that the light won't go away.

Does anyone have any idea on what could be causing it before I make the (4hr round trip) journey to go and read the codes?

Thanks

What RSRowe said - I'd take a OBD scanner and check out the codes for yourself.

If the car was physically in decent nick, drives okay and is cheap then it might be worth it. I'd also checkto see when the last clutch was fitted and when the belts and pump were last done as these 2 jobs alone will set you back around the £1k mark.

Buy a cheap bluetooth OBD scanner and get an android phone with the Torque app to scan the fault codes.

Remember; If it seems to good to be true...... you already know the rest.

Good luck!

As said above by both, ABS problems won't be scanned by most Bluetooth dongles, as mine just flashed up and I had it checked via CLiP (it's Renault's diagnostic software).

If it's rear ABS it's be either the stub axle bracket corroded (£16) or the ABS ring on the rear disc (£10), sensors don't tend to go often.
Warped discs sound like a BS excuse.

If it has EML it won't be just the catback exhaust, they'll be something else wrong.
They're known for breaking the flexis on the manifold, or like mine the actual connector to the flange of the manifold, have a look from the top with a light for soot around the manifold / flexis.