Career predicament

So, after an interview I was offered a position that starts this Monday. It is initially a 3 month contract with the possibility of ongoing. The interview went well and I really got on with the two chaps interviewing me, basically had a chat for two hours. We spoke about future projects which will be happening way after the 3 month mark and one of them also started on a contract and was offered the full time position after 2 months. I will be part of a 3 man internal IT department.

Yesterday I received an email to schedule an interview with Worcester council, there were 6 slots all for the same day which is unfortunately on Monday, the day I am supposed to be starting my new job role. Interviews are only being held on Monday so I either go or I don't. The role is full time, pays better and I'm guessing will have more room for progression in the long term. Downsides are it will mean me travelling nearly 100 miles a day which in turn will cost circa £5k a year in the 200.

What would you do? Take the risk of a short term contract that although looks promising for full time, may or may not lead to full time employment? Ask to start the next day to attend the interview which isn't guaranteed although I meet the essential and desirable specification?

Initially I was going to ask to start late or the next day but thinking about it more, travelling to Worcester every day isn't really feasible. The only reason I bring it up is because when I started my last job I was offered an interview for NHS IT Technician which I turned down and later regretted thinking 'what if'.

Go for whichever one offers you more long-term stability.

Be honest with the short-term guy and tell him you'll only take a full-time contract, see what he says...

Or buy a £500 VAG banger to do the donkey work on the commute. If neither option is better then your current situation then don't change. :smile:

Ask if they will interview you on Skype mate.

Tell them you can't get time off.

You'd have to get a new car. There's no way I'd wanna run 500 - 600 miles a week on a clio!

So, best option is the first one :wink:

Do you live at home (with your parents)?

If so, take the risk - there's little to lose. Three months is nothing and you'll be gutted if you miss the boat.

In november 2010 I left full time self employment and took a huge risk to potentially be underpaid by 5-6k... It didn't quite work but I met some incredible people and got head hunted thanks to them. Now I'm on an incredible salary for my age and I'd not change a thing.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'd postpone the start date , If they want you they will wait a week

That way you can do the interview and position the cost of traveling with them also , don't forget when starting a new job its a great time to negotiate a new salary :smile: if they would give you 3-5k more then this would cover the cost to travel and your happy :smile:

Perhaps position it as follows .

I am over the moon you and your business have offered me a position and i gladly accept however on embarking on a new project and role i would like a few days to gather my thoughts and ensure i am fresh and ready to begin in my new role so i suggest a start date of XXX i hope this suits you and your business as well as me. I look forward to hearing from you soon . Thanks once again for the opportunity to work for you.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nick200 General Chat 13