Car chugging when on low revs, sometimes cuts out, revs drop to just above 500

My car has started been really chuggy when at around 1500 revs, it's spluttering and sometimes stalled on me in traffic. I've bought a coil and switched that amongst the 4 and no luck. Anyone have any idea?

Ok iv had a look on auto Data today it says the most common faults for this symptom are, build up of deposits on the internal wall of the throttle body causing butterfly to operate incorrectly, this can be cleaned off and refit to the car. Also the crankshaft position sensor seems a common fault too. This requires a new one if it's faulty, hope this helps bud

Last edited:
Ok iv had a look on auto Data today it says the most common faults for this symptom are, build up of deposits on the internal wall of the throttle body causing butterfly to operate incorrectly, this can be cleaned off and refit to the car. Also the crankshaft position sensor seems a common fault too. This requires a new one if it's faulty, hope this helps bud
I can vouch for the throttle body issue if it is that, my Megane butterfly was almost siezed when I bought the car due to a build up of crap on the inside of the throttle body causing the car to sit at 500-600 rpm while idle.
Remove it and clean with brake cleaner, make sure the butterfly still moves correctly and take it for a blast after.

i had similar issues with my old 172 as you have with your 197 mate and it was the throttle body that was causing it! i just removed it cleaned it out and it was fine after that.

Thanks mate, took it back to rs tuning, (who were great and charged me nothing). Checked timing as I'd had some work done and wanted to make sure it hadn't slipped. It was fine. They rebuilt it and it's been fine today (touch wood).

When I took the car back, they did not start it incase the cams had slipped and didn't want to do any damage. The tdc was checked along with a few other things to make sure that if the car was started up it wouldn't do any major damage. Once done, car started and was fine! But I still have the chugging at low revs untill over 2k. But no engine warning light so I doubt there will be any codes. Can't think what else to do...