Cant work out the way this car pulls....

Hey there,

Have recently bought No. 392/500 R27. Have to say i am loving the car and pictures will come soon after this thread.

Had it for just over a week now and seems like a really good drive and the grip is fantastic.

The only thing i have really noticed with it that i found strange is that sometimes if i am sitting say in 2nd gear at around 3/4k rpm and then put my foot down it usually feels really responsive but sometimes just doesnt feel right until i get to say 5k rpm when it really gets going. The same can sometimes be said for third gear.

However upon reading threads i now understand that the way some of this stuff works based on how the engine responds is based on throttle position etc and i have to admit i do like to gradually put my foot down in a confident way instead of just going *stamp* on the floor. I notice that when i put my foot on the accelerator quite sharp a good few inches down it really starts to move straight away. Is this to do with the throttle position sensor thingy or something else like the way the torque works on this car?

Another thing i guess is this just could be the way the car is, with the car really coming into its own later in the rev range. I have to say i am not used to this having driven an 8v before hand for two years.

Is this normal goings on? Mileage is only 20k and just came out of its 2nd service, feels tight tbh.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's a combination of the torque being delivered at 5000 rpm and the Variable Valve Timing (VVT) that gives the boost in engine power there. Keep the motor spinning here and it will fly, keep it below here and it acts like a normal everyday quiet car. Lovely! Lol!

Welcome to the site btw. Have you put any pics up on a different thread yet or are you going to put some on here soon?

Hey Arran,

Thanks for the advice. I thought that it must just be me trying to understand how the car works and the feel of the accelerator pedal.

Will be posting pictures of the car soon. Its a racing blue F1, one of only 36 made i am told from research i have done. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Thanks guys.

What fuel do you use btw? Shell V-Power 99 octane is the best for the 197. Its dear but its good!

get it mapped dan . . . . . the power "kicks in" at 2700 - 3000 then and pulls straight through to 7500

Hey,

Ofcourse i use V power dude!! Jeeeeeeeez!!

Yeh i know the power comes at 3k but sometimes just doesnt feel there for some reason and take a while to get going it feels like soon as it hits five its going good! I assume this is pretty normal. I mean dont get me wrong, when i poke the throttle sharp, she goes for it very well.

Thanks.

Well tbh im not sure about modding at the moment, i need to understand how this will have an effect on the main dealer warrenty? Its still got it until 14th dec this year and am keen to keep it you see.

Just on the subject of the pulling power still, does it ever feel to you guys like sometimes you put your foot down and go for it and it pulls real nice and then sometimes you put your foot down and go for it to just not seem quite there at first? All this sensor rubbish has just got me thinking!? Lol

Thanks

dealer warranty is pants anyway. my car 09 modded it after 8 months with a map and ive never looked back since.

i remember my clio used to have good and bad days lol

all days are good now lol (used to be) it ticks over at 1800rpm cus of the race cams . . . . music to my ears every time i drove her.

i got a new set of brembo;s out of them as the paint was cracking even after mapping as its virtually impossible to detect.

I see!

I mean ofcourse i have been thinking about it. I like the sounds of getting some very decent spacers, not the cheap ones like you see sometimes. Eibach is what i have been looking at.

And also fancy some H&R coilovers, any opinion on these? Or is it best to buy V3s as i expect thats what most people will say/think. Thing is for another 200 notes above V3s i can go for AST's!!!!

Last edited:
or V3's with AST topmounts best of both worlds like me lol.

I cant comment on the others mate ive only had the V3's, and they made me fall back in love with a car i thought could possibly not handle any better. hubcentric spacers are hubcentric spacers lol cheap or dear they seem to be the same I payed £70 for a set of 12mm ones and they do the job just nicely. cant remember who makes them lol

Wow!! Do V3's really make that much difference! The cup pack suspension just seems to love the road.

Having said that i am used to driving lowered hatches using fairly uprated Bilstein setups and i know what your saying, that feeling you get in a properly lowered car. Guess i may have to go down that road for the fourth time in my life haha.

Monay money money though! I have found the engine responds to changes in temperature quite noticably. Around 15 degrees c is best! The air con does nothing for the pull either, so if you have the climate control make sure the air con isn't kicking in.

In all honesty the kwv3's make the car handle lime nothing I've ever dealt before,the first night they were on I took the car to a local tesco carpark just to throw it round a bit lol. The results were unbeleivable I remember putting it on full lock and accelerating hard in 2nd.......... No screach from the tyres no unstable back end wanting to catch the front end up. I got to 40 and felt sick lol ask Mark what he thinks of ast's he's just fitted some

I see, i dont think i have climate control, i do have a button that turns the air conditioning on and off, i assume as long as this is switched off, there wont be an issue?