can the 197 be tuned without being remapped ?

Hi does anyone know if the 197 can be tuned without the ecu being remapped as ive just been to a couple of garages to just get the enginge tuned but apparently it cant be done can anyone confirm this please. any response appreciated thanks terry

not adding anything at all i just thought the engine might need some sort of tuning after owning the car 2 years or does the ecu sort this out im a bit confused. thanks

thanks for clearing that up for me. i just thought that maybe there had been a drop in performance because it was a coupe of years old. im not interested in getting a remap so i will just leave it be. cheers

good stuff. aslong as the oil is changed regular and its run off the good fuel then there will be no problems.

Yes there is one thing you can do!

Its called the Italian tune up and every Clio sport owner should preform this at least once a month :smiley:

Yes, aesthetics and handling / chassis modifications can be done as well as breathing modifications to the engine can be done.

Alot of people on here have the ecu re mapped after fitting a de cat pipe to smooth out the power curve and advance the ignition timing ever so slightly.

Not since the days of carbs and adjustable idle and ignition distributors has a car required 'regular tune ups' lol.

Not since the days of carbs and adjustable idle and ignition distributors has a car required 'regular tune ups' lol.

think this is what the chap is on about !

no it doesnt need a "tune" the ecu continually checks and optomises engine parameters so in effect it takes in to account wear and tear over time so the engine is always giving its best - but this is no substitute for not changing the oil and filter air filter and changing the plugs when required !

i know wat the chap tryin 2 get at. But a remap is a tune. Sum 197s run better than others on standard map sum bad. When renault loads updates 2 ecu them actually tuning them up as sorts.

Exactly!

Modern ECUs and engines have a miriad of sensors that are constantly keeping all this in check.

Balancing carbs... worst job ever lol