Can someone please check their clutch?

I keep getting a little click/metal sounding tap when I gently touch the top of the clutch pedal...

When pressing and letting off the clutch I get a click higher up and then like a notch lower down.

Sorry for the very vague explanation but can someone please go out and see if their clutch does the same or has any characteristics like the above?

:smile:

My clutch pedal clicks and I know loads of people with 197s have this. It's the switch for the push start, tells it that the clutch is depressed

clutch should have a "faint" click when pressing it and be smooth all the way down then when it comes back up should click again near the top of its travel :thumbup1:

Okay thank you, so the click near the top is normal.

I still have the notch lower down and a very annoying metal tapping noise when my foot lightly touches the pedal, it's only 80% of the time though. It sounds like the metal grip on the pedal is loose but I've checked and everything seems fine.

I'd get it booked it but it would be a waste of my time because there won't be anything wrong with it... supposedly.

dont forget that the pedals in these cars are meant to shear off in an accident to prevent ankle damage and so dont always "feel robust" :001_unsure:

I have it as well, was starting to wonder if it was serious, but seems pretty standard as a lot of people have it. Seems to do it when hot though :/
Oh well, all normal.

I have it too, feels loose. I had it booked in for Wednesday, but had to cancel it due to it still being in having the wheels done.

I have the click too Curley. It's a bit annoying, but not too bad.

I have it as well, was starting to wonder if it was serious, but seems pretty standard as a lot of people have it. Seems to do it when hot though :/
Oh well, all normal.

I have it too, feels loose. I had it booked in for Wednesday, but had to cancel it due to it still being in having the wheels done.

Do you all mean the tapping noise I described? Or the click for the push start?

The noise is a PITA when you're just cruising along without the radio on.

No, mine is a clunck when you press it down. If you move your foot side to side whilst pressing the clutch you can replicate it.

any futher news on this?

mine clutch pedal has a clunk noise sometimes when i depress it. Its starting to get a bit annyoing

I have this metallic sound click when coming off the clutch at the top of its travel.

No idea what it is...

theres an on/off switch used for the keyless start system - you can use the clutch pedal instead of brake to start the car - the click is the switch working...

Mine does this too. The click is near the top too. If it's the switch then why won't the car start unless the clutch is fully depressed? It's really annoying me too.

Last edited:
Actually I just realised this morning that it still does it, just had my radio turned up so I couldn't hear it.