Can I upgrade early 197 climate control dials and system for the later electronic 1?

Do you mean manual A/C to automatic climate control?

I don't think there is any difference between early and late cars, but with most other cars the heater box, etc. is quite different between man and auto, plus sun load sensor, interior temp sensor, etc. suggests that the looms would be different too.

damn..... stage two, I have recently got the carbon bits chappo had in his car, originally jase's.

Yeah sorry ralphy thats what I meant mate, tbh the only time I use the heaters etc is when its icy. Do you have any ideas as regards to what I could do? I suppose actually, if I could get my hands on a sec hand unit with the dials present, and take the a/c and rear window heater buttons out ( jigsaw job)?? thus meaning that if I come to get rid a few years down the line, I have all the standard pieces that I can simply replace with the original centre console etc

I am not sure you can make it look good, few reasons;

• Firstly I am not sure if you can remove the A/C / Heated screen buttons, I know on Climate equipped cars it is a single complete assembly behind the trim panel.
  • Secondly on Climate equipped cars the holes actually come out wards, while with man. a/c cars I think they curve in to meet the surround of the control knob
  • Finally I am not sure if the three large holes are in the exact same place or not.

Don't mean to put a downer on it, just trying to highlight potential issues

I think if you'd asked this question before buying the carbon bits everyone would have told you to stay clear! I wanted the carbon dash too but I have the normal AC so decided to leave it.

But, I would love to change to climate if it's an easy swap so am keeping my eye on this

This has been questioned alot on cs.net for 172/182.

Simple answer yes, practically speaking no.

The manual twisty knobs are connected to cables which directly link to the various controls for airflow, fanspeed etc.

The digital climate setup replaces this with stepper motors and a ECU to control this for you.

To achieve this you would have to swap:
Dash panel
Stepper motors
wiring loom
ECU
and a load more stuff which regulates the airflow etc.

So don't bother, just buy a 200!

yeah its a complete assembly unfortunately... but Im going to have a look round see if I can get hold of a second hand unit to butcher see if it can be overcome.

I know I maybe should of checked but I had already stated that I wanted them and was keeping to my word as I wanted the other bits anyway. Think im going to have a think over the coming days and see about wrapping my original console in a dark gunmetal grey colour to match in with the carbon pieces that I have fitted. Going to have a bit of a play tomorrow as my mate owns a sign writing company, so can get my hands on vinyl rather easily. All I can say chaps is watch this space?! possibly got a carbon centre console up for sale, will update