Camshaft Position Sensor

Hi,

Been looking all over for a link to a camshaft position sensor. The one I ordered from renaultpartsdirect doesn’t actually fit? Despite them listing it as fitting both Clio 197 & 200. The OBD II Sensor is still throwing up camshaft position sensor errors and the car, like so many others is intermittently feeling like it’s down 100bhp..

Cheers in advance

Where abouts are you? Might be worth seeing if you can swap sensors with somebody who's is known to be working to see if this is the fault. By the sounds of it, RPD may have (unknowningly) sent you a duff sensor or the error you're reading is pointing you to the sensor but maybe it's something else at fault and not the sensor.

OK what is the part number did you get as there is a little confusion at what Renault call the sensor there is one in the gearbox casing and the other senor in the engine directly sensing the cam shaft

1265 - CAMSHAFT INLET SENSOR ( I think it is what you need)
149 - TDC SENSOR

1588273104197.png
1588273646505.png
1588273752946.png

Where abouts are you? Might be worth seeing if you can swap sensors with somebody who's is known to be working to see if this is the fault. By the sounds of it, RPD may have (unknowningly) sent you a duff sensor or the error you're reading is pointing you to the sensor but maybe it's something else at fault and not the sensor.
I would but being 19 there’s not a lot of guys I know, never mind my age who have one. Ill have a look into that though as others have said the scanners can sometimes point in the wrong direction. With the amount of different ways that these engines can lose power I wouldn’t be surprised if it was something else haha.

OK what is the part number did you get as there is a little confusion at what Renault call the sensor there is one in the gearbox casing and the other senor in the engine directly sensing the cam shaft

1265 - CAMSHAFT INLET SENSOR ( I think it is what you need)
149 - TDC SENSOR

View attachment 139715
View attachment 139724
View attachment 139726
Yep the sensor I’m on about is located in the cylinder head. Looks like it’ll be the camshaft “inlet” sensor. Whereabouts are you finding these diagrams n part numbers for future reference?

You're on a forum where many owners of the same car are from all over the world - if by chance that one or two are local to you, I'm sure they wouldn't mind meeting up to help you solve your problem - I asked where you were located as if you are close to Bristol, I wouldn't mind helping you out.

Looks like @turkie172 has come to the rescue again, though...Hopefully you get it sorted! :smile:

Reactions: Josh Ryder
Okay so a part number search has brought up some camshaft position sensors which look identical to the one I’ve just taken out the car. So I think I’m sorted now. Only question now is, I’ve got a long list of sensors which all look the same and are produced by different manufacturers. In either of your experiences, is there a set few manufactures to go for which are worth* spending a couple more quid? So far I’ve found NGK and Valeo but they’re around £12 more than the cheapest. I’m a Yorkshireman so I’m not giving my money away that easy but I’d rather do it right the first time than chuck cheap shit into an important component of the engine.

Like you said - spend the little extra and get the genuine/better quality. Normally I would go with cheapest but when it comes to certain parts on cars I know when not to cheap out. I'm sure you already know which named brands are worth going for. :smile:

Reactions: Josh Ryder