Cams

Hi everyone, just after some info, ordering some cat cams and a mate is going to fit them, but I have been told that There is some sort of special tool needed, I think for timing them up? Can someone please shed some light on what tools are needed for fitting? I got told a tool is needed costing £375?

Thanks, Mark.

no u won't need that special tool,that tool is only needed for race engines,a standard renault cam timing tool will do the job,i rang catcams to find this out and paul at rs tuning also confirmed it.

no u won't need that special tool,that tool is only needed for race engines,a standard renault cam timing tool will do the job,i rang catcams to find this out and paul at rs tuning also confirmed it.

Thanks very much mate :smile: did they make a big difference? Did u fit them yourself to?

Thanks

had them fitted and mapped in at a local garage,car only made an extra 6bhp and 6lbft of torque more so i rang RS Tuning and took it down there for a power run as i thought there was more to be had,paul thought the same so basically mapped the car again,the cars now made an extra 13bhp and 14lbft of torque,catcams claim they should make 12bhp so i'm happy with the results,car does pull really well now i must admit

just a local garage friend mate,no one famous! it did feel good after he'd done it but knowing how good rs tuning are with renualts i thought it would be worth a trip down,its mad how 2 sets of rollers can give 2 totally different results,car ran 210bhp at my local garage and its now running another 6bhp or so after the rs tuning map so would have been up to 216bhp at local garage yet at rs tuning it ran 201bhp,basically mate make sure u get a before and after bhp & torque figure so u can see yr gains,no point comparing results from to different places

my graph,

6848592441_b478136267_b.jpg
002 by scott1586, on Flickr

that 188bhp before figure came from a rolling road day i went to at rs tuning in october

Do you hav a flat spot at around 3700-4000rpm? Only asking because there seems to be a drop in bhp and torque at that rpm on the graph, doesnt just flaten out but actually drops down? Is this a normal characteristic of these cams?

Thats what happends with a decat Rob. Its difficult to "map it out".

Good results though Henderson.

I want cams so so bad lol.

I've got Schricks to fit and would be happy with 13 -15bhp. I'd be around 210bhp on RS Tuning RR (currently 196bhp on Pauls)

Last edited:
When they getting fitted litchy? I'll be following your feedback closely as itsthe Schricks we're after.

cheers lads anyway,like i said i'm happy with the results,i'm running a shorter intake pipe than standard which paul seems to think will probably increase mid range power and torque but in turn i'll lose out a little on peak power,personally i think the clio lacks in mid range so i'm just going to leave it as is and not chase a higher peak figure,car pulls really well even low down in the rev range and plus i'll be getting one of fernandez's R3 airboxes in a month or so so it'll have to go back on the rollers after fitting,what gains do people think you'll achieve from an R3 airbox?