Breaking value of clio 200

Hi all, just looking for a little bit of advice. Yesterday someone went into the back of me and i suspect that the car will be written off (boot floor is crumpled, so structural damage ). One of my previous cars (mr2 mk3) was also written off, but i had invested a bit of money into it with wheels, exhaust etc, so was worth buying it back off the insurance and breaking it. I had quite a good knowledge of what things were worth on that car, so with a bit of time i 'recovered'a decent chunk back. With the clio i am a little clueless, is there much value/requirement for parts? I normally wouldn't think twice but mine has factory fit leather recaro's and i suspect there is some value there, everything else is standard 2009 plate rs 200.

Cheers in advance.

To be fair you would get really decent money for the recaros and then if you sell the engine and box (if they are good) then depending what you paidfor the car back that could be a slice of your money. Or get donor (cheap) standard seats and take the recaros out ? .

I'd buy it back personally, standard cloth recaros go for good money, so I'm sure leather ones will go for a bit more. Engines are usually around a grand, brembos are a few hundred, you'd make a decent amount I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recaros trimmed in leather, providing good condition should be £1000+ I'd have thought. Seen worn cloth ones go for £800

Alloys and tyres, again if good condition should pull £400+

CAT Back exhausts (Miltek, KTEC, Scorpion etc.) generally go anywhere between £250-£350

Brembos are about £200 for the pair and the rear diffuser is anywhere from £200 - £250. Have a look at the completed threads in the classified section to get a better idea of what you can sell parts for.

Would be interested in the Brembo's and the wheels if they're standard twin 5 spokes?

Well worth buying back, so long as they aren't asking silly money. My old Civic Type R came off the road in 2012 with the bad winter we had, just hit some ice and lost all traction... boom straight into a parked car and a wall :'(

The car was written off but I only paid £400 to buy it back. The engine out of it went for £900 alone, I probably made more on that car splitting it and selling it in bits then I would have if I'd have just tried to sell it as a car!

Only question is, do you have somewhere to store it and space to store the parts waiting for them to sell. Everyone wants a bargain these days so expect to get low offers for some things. I was lucky in that I had a driveway to store the shell on and a garage to store all the stuff in.

You can sell literally everything on the car, don't just think of the high value things. Interior lights, switches, clocks, door handles etc. The only thing that was left of my civic when it went for scrap was a literally a shell. Even the rear quarter glass and boot glass went!

Hello,

I would be interest in buying the drivers side door if its for sale.

It would need to have all locking mechanisms and window attached etc. Let me know.

Thanks

Hi,

Not heard anything from insurance company in over two weeks, so still waiting for a valuation and a buy back price. I have had confirmation however that it is a total loss (write off) as it is uneconomical to repair).

Will keep you all posted (especially those who have shown an interest in certain parts) with what happens.

Cheers

Well they have given me a really low 'market value' which is a number picked from a book, so really disappointed. I have been given the opportunity to buy it back, but the percentage is a lot higher than i expected.

I know i could make money back by stripping it, but with the low payout i don't think i can afford to sit on it for that long, i need to get a replacement - prob something boring and sensible. Just to put it out there and get an idea, but would the car be worth £3000 in its current condition (cat d damaged) as it stands with the seats or £1200 for all seats and door cards and then £1800 for the rest? I think this is all pretty reasonable and i am sure i could sell it on the well known auction site for these prices, but what are your thoughts?? I need to boost my payout, but don't want to rip off fellow members.

A bit of info about the car:

09 plate
35,545 miles
Cam belt and kit done april 16 (34k miles)
CAT D repairable. Damage to rear end, rear bumper, boot lid, boot floor, drivers rear wing creased etc.

Cheers

PS

Not projector headlights, steering wheel in good, but i don't think perfect condition (- all dependent on how bad yours is) I would need to check to be certain.

Last edited:
Well they have given me a really low 'market value' which is a number picked from a book, so really disappointed. I have been given the opportunity to buy it back, but the percentage is a lot higher than i expected.

I know i could make money back by stripping it, but with the low payout i don't think i can afford to sit on it for that long, i need to get a replacement - prob something boring and sensible. Just to put it out there and get an idea, but would the car be worth £3000 in its current condition (cat d damaged) as it stands with the seats or £1200 for all seats and door cards and then £1800 for the rest? I think this is all pretty reasonable and i am sure i could sell it on the well known auction site for these prices, but what are your thoughts?? I need to boost my payout, but don't want to rip off fellow members.

A bit of info about the car:

09 plate
35,545 miles
Cam belt and kit done april 16 (34k miles)
CAT D repairable. Damage to rear end, rear bumper, boot lid, boot floor, drivers rear wing creased etc.

Cheers

PS

Not projector headlights, steering wheel in good, but i don't think perfect condition (- all dependent on how bad yours is) I would need to check to be certain.

What did they offer?

I can't quite tell if you said it in your post or not, I'm a little tired lol!

Don't accept the first offer they will always try to low ball you if it was my car id be pushing for at least £6500 and the buy back is normally between 10 and 25 percent of the pre accident value although it can vary

Look at the prices of parts on eBay engine is roughly £1K recaros another 1k to 1.2k so thats 2k already and then you've got the gearbox wheels panels front bumper headlights it all adds up pretty quickly and before you know it you've made 4k back

Insurance companies will take the micky if you let them because they know most people can't do without a car so will take the first offer

Sometimes it is better to go through an accident management company as they will get you a hire car etc

HTH Marc

Cheers for the feedback, first offer was £5830, which was a no go. They have since upped it quite considerably after a bit of pushing (not my first time at this), but this means the buy back has also gone up. I just dont have the effort or time to fully break hence me offering it up for someone else to do. I need to decide by tomorrow lunch, but really need the cash in the bank to buy the next.

Hi all,

As there has not been any committed interest i am going to let the insurance dispose of the car rather than me buy it back. So the seats maybe coming to a scrappers near you.

Cheers