Brand New RS

Picking up a Clio this Saturday and had a couple of questions!

Do you have to run these engines in or do just open the taps?
Its only done 15 miles.....

When is it's first service does it have one at 1,000 miles First Service?

Thanks Peeps:bounce:

It will need running in for about 600 miles, can't remember what there limit is as it was 40,000 miles ago for me now.

1st service is at 12k but a lot of people change the oil at 6k or 6 months.

Renault UK will say you don't have to run them in but you should go steady for the first thousand. That's what I did when I got mine. Then changed the oil after that 1k. After that start driving it harder gradually building up etc until your able to drive it how it should be driven. Change the oil after 6k again.

Renault say 625 miles to run in, don't take it over 3.5k revs. This is not only for the engine, but other components like brakes etc. I did this and mine runs sweet as a nut at 15k now

EDIT - doesn't need a service until 12,000 miles or 2 years, whichever is sooner, but did mine at a year. Also kept an eye on the oil levels and topped up when needed, but never did a full oil change. Some have however, and it can't be a bad thing if you wanted to do it

Thanks for replies chaps i dont know why i'm excited as it's the wife car?
I have a meg R26 which i'm happy with, just hope she is just happy with her's!

Fernandez loving your car mate that plate is illegal lol!!
Will put h/lamp parts number up when i get a mo!

DanT Sound's like just the job 1k then every 6k thats will suit me

Last edited:
Thanks for replies chaps i dont know why i'm excited as i have a meg already
but who cares!!

Fernandez loving your car mate that plate is illegal lol!!
Will put h/lamp parts number up when i get a mo!

DanT Sound's like just the job 1k then every 6k thats will suit me

1k then 6k, then your regular srvice intervals, 12k/24k/36k etc

Mine had uner 10 miles on the clock when I picked it up. I warmed it up then took it to the dual carrieway (still under 10 miles) and then did serveral WOT runs in 3rd and 4th to just over 6k then slow down with no throttle. Drove causually for the rest of the run in period with serveral 6 k adventures.

It's most probably not needed in a road car but I'm used to doing the same with my race enignes. It also gives off a nice smell burning of all the crap. lol

Just warm it up for 20 mins then just gun it. Will be fine. No need for a gradual Process.

I would run it in as per the manual. Which I think is what has been said above, 625 miles. Did it with my 1.2 Clio and that never used a drop of oil and ran sweet as a nut.

a lot of people think that the new cars are built to be thrashed from the off but personally id rather run them in to the manufacturers spec. I kept mine below 4k revs for 600 miles then opened it up, ive only ever used vpower and 6k in the engine is sweet and id like to keep it that way! :smile:

a lot of people think that the new cars are built to be thrashed from the off but personally id rather run them in to the manufacturers spec. I kept mine below 4k revs for 600 miles then opened it up, ive only ever used vpower and 6k in the engine is sweet and id like to keep it that way! :smile:

Pretty much exactly what I did too. Better to be safe than sorry in this department I'd say.

It's been said that running in gently lends itself to producing more torque whereas thrashing from the off lends itself to more peak power.

I thought the engine's in Renault Sport range have all been bench run to stop all this running lark?
So she can let her warm up and let rip lol?

Last edited: