Brakes rubbing

Last week or so when I leave my car over night I've got into it to go out.. Let the handbrake off and gone to pull away.. Feels like the handbrake is still on. A bang then it releases and I can drive.. Just tonight I needed to roll the car forward and it was on a slight hill. The rubbing coming from the brakes was really bad.. 5 min drive round the block stops the rubbing. Just wondering why it's started to lock up over night and why the rubbing is so bad at first.. Need new discs maybe? They've got a slight lip on them but don't seem too bad!

Thanks - Stu

Last edited:
they need a regular (yearly) strip down and rebuild - both fronts and rears - to limit dragging/sticking issues

What Foxspeed said (of course) :wink: But you'll also notice a massive improvement in braking performance once you've stripped them down. (Well I did anyway!).

The weather doesn't help either - when it's been wet and cold my rears tend to stick on once the handbrake is off, after it's been left overnight - same as you describe. Sometimes a bit of surface rust causes a rubbing noise too until it's worn off.