brake working better on the second press?

200cup andy

Platinum Member
after going for a spirited drive yesterday ive noticed that the brakes seem to work better on the second press of the pedal, now the mechanic in me would say that they need bleeding out again so they work like that all the time

just wondering if all of the 197/200s are like that

you mean bite of the brakes or the pedal feeling better ?

bit of heat in the brakes will make them feel better/bite better

have you tried pressing the brake pedal really hard - this makes sure the rear calipers adjust up to the disc better - also work the handbrake a few times - can sometimes take up 2 notches from the handbrake doing that

oh and do it whilst stationary

ive only done 2k miles so the handbrake should be fine

the bite of the brakes moves so the first time its about half pressed the second time its about 1/3-1/4 pressed. it dont really bother me as i now know its there but just wanted to make sure its as it should be and not a problem starting to happen

Could be air in the system, pumping the brake will always temporarily rectify it. Have you overheated them?

ive only done 2k miles so the handbrake should be fine

the bite of the brakes moves so the first time its about half pressed the second time its about 1/3-1/4 pressed. it dont really bother me as i now know its there but just wanted to make sure its as it should be and not a problem starting to happen

pumping the pedal hard makes sure the rear calipers adjust up fully and this in turn gives less pedal travel and a firmer feel....along with a shorted handbrake travel8)

Ive had the same problem since having new discs and pads fitted, ive got it booked in to have the brakes bled as I think that a small amount of air has got in the system

ive done the pump thing and gave the hand brake a few good tugs so next time i head out ill see what happens. if not ill get the bleed kit out lol

Its easily bled mate, only problem with the 197 is the twin bleed nipples on the brembos requiring the wheels to be removed for access.

Surely you shouldn't need to be bleeding the brakes of a 60 plate car??

If anything I'd be taking it back to the dealers for investigation.