Handbrake not Working After Changing Rear Discs

Phenom

Paid Member
So i changed my rear discs due to a failed bearing, took everything off, wound back the piston to fit over newer disc.

there was nothing in the handbrake would do 20+ clicks with no resistance, so got to the adjuster and now it has 4 clicks of nothing and then the fifth click is like a brickwall.

there is no movement in the cable or in the mechanism on the caliper either. i've given the handbrake mechanism a couple of taps each side to see if it would free up and nothing.

you can feel it in the caliper (like a small tap) when you pull the handbrake up but no movement on cable or caliper.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Have you removed the cable from the caliper and checked that’s it’s free to move in the sleeve, not uncommon for these cables to seize

Reactions: Phenom
have you made sure the cable is free - ie removed from the caliper lever and moved in in/out?

are the caliper levers fully back? some are "over" adjusted and the arms are not fully back causing the auto adjusters not to work right

Have you removed the cable from the caliper and checked that’s it’s free to move in the sleeve, not uncommon for these cables to seize
Will give it a go when it's dry, don't feel like rolling around in the wet today.

I removed it from the lever side yesterday and couldn't get any movement? But it was still on at the caliper though so will try it there as well

are the caliper levers fully back? some are "over" adjusted and the arms are not fully back causing the auto adjusters not to work right

Going to check cable is free when's it's dried out a bit.

Can you explain that bit some more? Is that having the part where the cable attaches all the way back against the other bit behind it? Because it definitely wasn't all the way back against it

yes the levers on the calipers need to be fully back so the pistons wind in/out/adjust correctly - what usually happens is the handbrake cable is over adjusted and it pulls one of the levers forward to the "on" position...

if its like that then de-adjust the handbrake cables - so the arms can fully go back - then i would re-wind the pistons back in - fit calipers pump the pedal to get them to adjust - then adjust the cable making sure its adjusted but not pulling the arms/levers on the caliper pistons

Finally got round to getting the car up and having a look, had to give the arm where the cable attaches to the caliper a little wack to free it up both sides after that I took the cable off of each caliper and gave them couple of pulls to make sure it was all freed up inside the cable. looks at them the seals on the end seemed to have perished and are letting all the crap into the cable, lots of break cleaner, and a little oil to help keep it free till new cables arrive.